Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented and experienced senior gameplay programmer to join the Overwatch development team. The ideal candidate has broad gameplay development experience from architecting gameplay systems to player facing user interface (UI). They should have a longstanding passion for playing games and should be excited at the idea of working closely with designers to help create compelling and epic features that will keep players engaged for years.
We're looking for a Senior Gameplay Engineer that shares our values:
- We take responsibility for delivering our work.
- We collaborate constantly, helping each other to be successful.
- We continuously improve our knowledge, workflows and processes.
- We communicate openly, calling out issues, opportunities, and sharing feedback.
- We have integrity, maintain confidentiality, and share a sense of ownership in our success.
- We have real passion for the game, our players, quality work, and technology.
- Work closely with designers, artists, and other engineers to design a great player experience.
- Maintain familiarity of the game’s design, for both the live product and for all on-going expansions.
- Collaborate with members of the team to build sustainable, performant and maintainable technologies and code.
- Play an active role in supporting the game by helping address issues in production.
- Own systems vertically from the back-end to the player facing UI.
- Champion Blizzard Entertainment’s core values, especially 'Gameplay First'.
- Extreme passion for playing and making video games.
- Advanced C++ programming skills.
- Shipped at least one AAA title as a gameplay engineer.
- A minimum of 5 years’ game programming experience.
- Strong mathematics skills, including proficiency with trigonometry, and linear algebra.
- Experience in the design and implementation of various game systems, including game object management, AI / pathing, animation, gameplay scripting, FX, user interface or online networking.
- Must be comfortable working within and adding to an established code framework.
- Able to speak “Designer” and “Artist” fluently.
- Willing and able to provide mentorship for junior engineers.
- Bachelor’s degrees in computer science, mathematics, physics, or a related field.
- Proficiency in multi-threaded systems.
- Experience designing gameplay systems for real-time multiplayer games, particularly FPS games.
- Experience with visual scripting languages such as Blueprint or Kismet.
- Experience with code and algorithmic optimization to improve performance.