Job Title: Lead, Embedded Software Engineer
Job Code: IMS20230811-107955
Job Location: Anaheim, CA
Relocation: Available for qualified candidates
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
About L3Harris Technologies:
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Under general direction of Software Engineering Management, this position develops and applies advanced software engineering methods in the investigation and solution of complex and advanced technical problems for embedded application specialized in power system architectures, power conversion equipment and advanced integration modeling/simulation. The Lead Software Engineer shall lead software engineer team to support for all stages of product development from design through implementation and system integration under minimal supervision. Must be hands-on software engineer that functions as an engineering role model for those whom are more junior as well as internal partners and external customers.
- Lead development of software design and architectures for new and legacy embedded products.
- Interpret customer specification to define traceable & testable requirements for software design.
- Provide software technical leadership for the software team. Justify engineering practice to internal and external customers.
- Perform & automate requirement analysis and software coverage analysis for software code base.
- Compose software use case and review test procedures for validation and verification of software development.
- Ability to work simultaneously on a variety of projects.
- Reviews project progress and helps in earned value reporting. Recommends corrections in technical approach to maximize efficiency of engineering resources.
- Support new programs from conceptual design, through detail design to completion.
- Provides expert guidance with a variety of software engineering concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Maintain engineering discipline excellence through DevSecOps automation and predicable performance.
- Coordinate directions from Project and/or System Engineering Department Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience leading the development through the release of safety-critical (military grade) software embedded product. Ability to work within contract scope with CAM and PMO with technical accountability.
- Position requires a bachelor’s degree in science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) or related discipline with minimum 9 years or a graduate degree with a minimum of 7 years prior relevant experience (10+ years desired) of prior related experience. In lieu of a degree, minimum of 13 years of prior related experience.
- Familiarity with software control systems, power conversion concepts, and embedded system software architecture to champion software engineering contribution as a key member of multi-disciplined engineering teams.
- Expertise in board bring-up and integration on and off target hardware on embedded or “bare metal” platforms. Comfortable with cross-platform embedded software development within a dynamic collaborative team with ability to diagnose proprietary toolchain opportunities.
- Expertise leading disciplined and data-drive real-time design, multiprocessor synchronization, data consistency and propagation with multiprocessor and multi-tried caching, and system performance and timing analysis.
- Experience in digital signal processing, machine to machine communications, fiber optics-based communications subsystems, and communication protocols, such as RS-232, RS-485, and Ethernet.
- Leadership in establishing, deploying and sustaining Unit Test and Test-Driven Development (TDD) pipeline (CI) for a multi-discipline and multi-supplier project.
- Expertise in C and C++ programming language. Knowledge of Python is beneficial.
- US Citizenship with Ability to obtain Secret Clearance.
- Travel <10% Annually with ability to support onsite, second shift & weekend spike demand is needed.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Ability to mentor (lead by example) teams of software engineers.
- Ability to negotiate and build-bridges with other entrenched functional teams as well as customers.
- Work in a multi-disciplinary (beyond engineering) team and build consensus on forward looking contracts.
- Fluent with how to use Atlassian toolset and SAFe/SCRUM practices to improve the team’s productivity.
- Proficient with web-based collaboration tools (wiki) and Microsoft office suite.
- Proven effective communication with Senior Project Management and customer representatives is essential.
Knowledge in C++ compiling process, understand sufficiently in intermediary and linker output files.
- Knowledge in ZYNQ UltraSCALE+ SoC based embedded target configuration/customization is a plus.
- Familiarity with MATLab/ SimuLink, Model Driven Design and Deterministic/ Stochastic Model software development.
In compliance with California pay transparency requirements, the salary range for this role is $127,000 - $236,000. This is not a guarantee of compensation or salary, as final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience and geographic location. L3Harris also offers a variety of benefits, including health and disability insurance, 401(k) match, flexible spending accounts, EAP, education assistance, parental leave, paid time off, and company-paid holidays. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire, schedule type, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.