- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
Amazon Prime serves over 150 million members across 19 countries and is at the heart of Amazon’s explosive growth. Prime members enjoy many benefits, including the best of shopping and entertainment experience. In the U.S. that includes unlimited access to award-winning movies and TV episodes with Prime Video; unlimited access to Prime Music, Prime Reading, Amazon Photos, Twitch Prime; early access to select Lightning Deals, one free pre-released book a month with Amazon First Reads, and more.
Are you passionate about building with high quality engineering in ML and science? Do you want to work in a multi-disciplinary group of product managers, ML scientists, economists, finance analysts, data engineers and software engineers to build tools to help Amazon make science-driven decisions on how to make the Amazon Prime membership better for our customers? If your answer is yes, come join us as we work on this unique intersection of science, engineering and business.
The ML & econ engineering team within Prime are responsible for building a platform to accelerate the adoption and use of ML into applications that make our customers experiences more relevant, personalized and exciting globally. In addition to the improving our customers experience, we are also responsible for enabling our scientists to deploy models that influence huge one-way door decisions that our leaders make that have global impact.
As an experienced Software Engineer, you will collaborate with ML scientists, economists and developers across the company to develop, test and deploy native AWS services that implement a wide range of econometric and ML models. A successful candidate will have a passion for innovation and excellence, a constant desire to learn cutting-edge technology and science, and excitement about working in a multi-disciplinary environment in a high-impact business domain.
Key job responsibilities
- Design and develop distributed systems using microservices architecture
- Build with high quality software and operational excellence
- Scale scientific products across Prime
- Build and a deep knowledge of ML tools such as AWS SageMaker and EMR
- Ideate on innovate solutions to challenging problems at scale
A day in the life
You will be responsible for the end to end design, implementation and deployment of innovative science driven products with best practices throughout. You will work alongside top scientists in Prime and our senior SDEs to develop software impacting 100's of millions of customers worldwide using ML and AI.
About the team
The Prime Sciences tech are responsible for building a platform to accelerate the adoption of science into customer optimization and strategic decisions systems across Prime and Amazon. A successful candidate will have a passion for innovation and excellence, a constant desire to learn cutting-edge technology and science, and excitement about working in a multi-disciplinary environment in a high-impact business domain. Come build with us.
- MS in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
- 3-5+ years of progressively responsible work experience
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience in building large scale distributed data processing pipelines
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in AWS EMR, Spark, S3, Step Functions and other AWS technologies
- Experience in communicating with multiple stakeholders including product managers, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- Demonstrated abilities driving operational excellence and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
- Experience negotiating design and APIs with other software teams
- Excellence in technical communication with peers, partners, and non-technical cohorts
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.