The Weather Company, an IBM Business, is seeking a Security Systems Engineer to join the Science and Forecast Operations team. You will bring a passion for security to an energetic group of DevOps Engineers, Developers, and Scientists to build, implement, and sustain secure systems underpinning a compelling and heterogeneous set of weather applications. You will collaborate with other technology colleagues across the company to advance and leverage emerging technologies and frameworks.
A collaborative spirit and sense of mission are among the reasons it is great to work for this team. We learn from and support each other, whether you've been here for decades or days, as part of an unwavering commitment to a job always well done. We rely on the empowerment of every individual contributing in every way they can rather than through narrowly defined roles. We are a team driven by an overarching mission of saving lives, instilling confidence, driving decisions, and propelling the world through our uniquely positioned and at-scale weather data, products, services and trusted brand.
And at IBM and The Weather Company, you will have access to the latest tools, technology, education and a career path with the world’s technology leader. Your Role and Responsibilities
In support of the Science and Forecast Operations team's objectives, you will:
- Securely design, build, deploy, operate, and monitor mission-critical, highly-available, weather-related software systems at scale.
- Modernize and secure existing cloud systems and infrastructure with a focus on automating security and compliance while respecting stable operations.
- Respond to security incidents, assess threats, and implement remediations across systems.
- Optimize development and deployment efficiency by collaborating with team members to leverage existing DevOps practices in application and infrastructure management.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams of developers and other engineers to design and build reliable technology solutions for new business needs.
If you are hired into a Colorado
work location, the anticipated compensation range for the position $99,000 to $184,000 is based on a full-time schedule. Your ultimate compensation may vary depending on your job-related skills and experience. For part-time roles, the compensation will be adjusted appropriately. Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Linux system and security engineering, OS patching and hardening, and networking skills in a cloud environment: 3+ years with any major distribution(s).
- Experience managing cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCE, IBM Cloud) via IaC (Terraform) and automation platforms (e.g. Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc.).
- Experience creating and executing remediation plans from security monitoring, scanning, vulnerability reporting, and analysis tools.
- Strong knowledge of both legacy and state-of-the-art software development tools and frameworks, including development environments, operating systems, deployment methods, and support paradigms
- Experience implementing secure configurations for web servers and APIs as well as secure linux and cloud authentication and authorization methods for human and machine use.
- Familiarity with weather forecasting, weather APIs, data ingest, data transformation, and meteorological systems.
- Experience applying and adhering to corporate IT security standards such as ISO 2700 series.
- Experience with high performance computing and computing optimizations.
- Experience scripting with bash, Python, and Ruby.
- Experience with containers (Docker, Podmon, etc.) and container orchestration (Kubernetes).
- Experience managing and automating Windows deployments.
About Business Unit
The Science and Forecast Operations (SFO) team is a unique team of highly skilled and motivated science and technology professionals conducting end-to-end research, development and operations of weather and weather-adjacent technologies at scale to power worldwide consumer and business applications.
This job requires you to provide your COVID-19 vaccination status with supporting documentation, where legally permissible.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world's most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it's time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It's time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM's learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.