About the Company What you'll do:
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
We are seeking talented engineers with GIS experience to develop cloud-based tools and infrastructure to support TORC's autonomous driving applications. You will work closely with TORC's autonomy engineers to drive the technical road map in support TORC's geospatial pipeline, including map creation, extraction, versioning, and deployment. You will gain a deep understanding of not only self-driving technology, but also the real-world challenges and solutions involved in developing and deploying maps for self-driving applications.
What you'll need to succeed:
- Create innovative cloud-based geospatial systems to support map creation and maintenance for large-scale autonomous driving applications.
- Collaborate with teams specializing in GIS, mapping, and data visualization to develop solutions that support their development efforts.
- Support the implementation of emerging cloud-based geospatial capabilities that can extend our technology stack and improve our ability to create, validate, and deploy mission critical geospatial information.
- BS/MS Degree in GIS, Geography, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in industry or graduate school
- Application development experience (Python, Go, Modern C++, or Rust)
- Basic Cloud or Devops experience (Ansible, Docker, Terraform)
- Proficiency with Linux OS
- Troubleshooting skills (real-time and in-depth analysis)
- Excellent communication skills with ability to collaborate efficiently with other team members
Perks of Being a Torc'r
- Experience with Geospatial Information Systems (GIS), spatial analysis, location intelligence or visualization
- Foundational knowledge of geospatial/GIS concepts – including projections, spatial indexing, and GIS database design
- Experience with open-source GIS software, standards, SDKs, and APIs like MapBox, OpenLayers, Leaflet
- In-depth knowledge of various GIS data formats like Shapefiles, GeoJSON, and GeoTiff
- Solid foundation in data structures and algorithms in Python, Go, or C++
- Web-based API development experience
- Proficiency with AWS cloud computing environments.
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused.
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance