Vibes is a central pillar in helping brands engage with their consumers. Whether through two-factor authentication, confirmation messages, fraud alerts, or marketing communications, you have probably noticed that text messaging has become an essential medium for all of us to interact with our favorite companies. Vibes powers those communications by providing our clients and partners with direct SMS and MMS connections to all U.S. cell phone carriers. As the only remaining independent company in the business with mobile messaging aggregation as a core competency, we focus our investment on making our clients successful and providing best-in-class service. Vibes is one of only four Tier-1 aggregators in the U.S. and we empower our clients to eliminate intermediaries and engage with their customers in an impactful, reliable, and timely manner, providing them full control over their mobile consumer experience. Vibes is recognized as a leader in mobile engagement, short code provisioning, and mobile compliance.
We are searching for a collaborative, results-driven Engineering Manager who is passionate about cultivating a culture of growth and high performance and can drive business results across multiple realms of responsibility. Our ideal candidate must have a proven track record of working cross-functionally to define and deliver on technical business objectives, specifically in a remote environment.
An ideal candidate possesses a growth mindset, strategic thinking capacity, empathy, inspiring communication skills, and the ability to bring out the best in others. This role holds significant impact at Vibes during a period of exciting growth.
In a world marked by constant change and uncertainty, one area that's growing rapidly is the digital consumer engagement space. Specifically, how brands establish personalized, 1-on-1 interactions with consumers at scale. This role places you at the heart of this exciting evolution in consumer engagement. If you're eager to build systems that offer large enterprises the latest innovations in mobile marketing technology and spread positive vibes, then you have an opportunity to thrive here.
This is a full-time, hybrid position based in the greater Chicago metro area, reporting to the VP of Connect Engineering. In 2023, Vibes was recognized as a Built In Best Hybrid Place to Work.
To deliver on our commitment of fast, reliable, and consistent messaging for our clients, engineering leaders at Vibes focus on 3 main areas for our development teams: People, Product, and Process.
- Lead and mentor members of multiple global, remote agile development teams.
- Cultivate a highly-engaged and results-driven remote culture, enabling individuals to contribute, grow, and excel in their software engineering careers.
- Recruit, engage, assess, and retain technical team members.
- Understand and prioritize the business objectives behind our product decisions; partner collaboratively and proactively with cross-functional stakeholders to deliver value to the business through the software your teams build.
- Collaborate with product management to evaluate feature requests, break down substantial work efforts into epics and stories, guide the team in providing sizing estimates, and define implementation paths for completion.
- Define the technical roadmap, needs, and implementation paths while aligning with Product, Security, and Compliance teams to prioritize long-term Connect product growth, viability, and scalability.
- Evolve team coding standards, development, and testing best practices to ensure high-quality code.
- Lead and coordinate incident responses for triage, diagnosis, and resolution of reported production issues.
- Lead Scrum-based agile development teams to ensure effective planning, estimations, and development progress, while also removing roadblocks.
- Facilitate group meetings with clear objectives, encouraging group participation and collaboration.
- Collaborate effectively with technical leaders across the organization and coordinate shared work responsibilities in a multi-group environment.
- Demonstrate flexibility, creativity, and practicality when facing changing priorities or incomplete information.
- Implement and update development and operational guidelines, procedures, and support coverage to ensure 24/7/365 delivery and availability of Vibes Connect messaging system.
- Participate, integrate, and contribute to the evolution of our change and incident management process.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- BS or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related fields.
- 3+ years of experience leading software teams in a functional manager, technical lead, or equivalent team leadership role.
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer or equivalent individual contributor in development.
- Experience with real-time, event-driven, and/or high-throughput/low-latency systems in a 24/7/365 SaaS model.
- Experience with iterative and agile team development practices and approaches.
- Desire to work in a small to mid-size technical organization where leaders are expected to contribute in various roles, such as engineering, devops, and quality engineering manager.
- Ability to build strong, trusting relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly organized and capable of managing multiple stakeholders and driving resolution within the software engineering development process.
- Growth mindset, driven to learn, and highly coachable.
- Excellent communication and active listening skills; adaptable to different personalities and communication styles.
- High character and positive mindset, from integrity to reliability to general kindness toward people.
- Strong written communication and documentation authoring skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to Vibes' downtown Chicago, IL, office several times a month.
- Authorized to work in the United States without the need for current or future employer sponsorship.
Our Core Values:
- Respect, Honesty, and Integrity for All Stakeholders
- Always be Learning
- Relentless Focus on the Customer
- Never be Satisfied
- Create Value
- Seek Accountability and Ownership
Compensation and Benefits: The compensation range for this role is $140,000 to $182,000, including base salary and performance-based bonuses. Final compensation will be determined by factors such as relevant work experience, skills, and certifications.
Vibes offers a comprehensive benefits package, including competitive salaries, medical, dental, and vision coverage, 12 paid holidays + 1 rest week, flexible vacation and wellness days, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, short and long-term disability, life insurance, and a paid parental leave program. To learn more, please visit www.vibes.com/careers.
We also provide what you need to thrive both in and outside of work:
- Positive, people-first work environment
- Professional development to cultivate your growth as a manager/leader
- Flexible working schedule – where we can, we aim to make work, work for you
- Company options – seeking accountability and ownership is one of our core values, this is a way for you to be an owner and share in our success
- Wellness stipend – for you to take care of your mental and physical health
- Your choice of MacBook or PC, along with a home office setup stipend, to support your best work
Concerned that you don't meet all the role requirements? Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often hesitate to apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria, unlike candidates from majority backgrounds who apply while meeting fewer requirements. We strongly encourage you to apply - we're interested in how you can contribute to our team!
Notice to recruitment agencies: Vibes does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Vibes will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Vibes for this specific role.