Who is Recruiting from Scratch:
Recruiting from Scratch is a premier talent firm that focuses on placing the best product managers, software, and hardware talent at innovative companies. Our team is 100% remote and we work with teams across the United States to help them hire. We work with companies funded by the best investors including Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Ventures, Tiger Global Management, A16Z, Accel, DFJ, and more.
If you are a fit, the team will reach out to you about this role or any others that may be a fit for our clients.Our Client:
They are rethinking programming
Today, most people write code by sitting at a desk, memorizing a syntax that varies with different tools, and pushing buttons. And, doing so for long periods of time is known to cause physical pain. We'd know—we created the company after developing repetitive strain injuries (think carpal tunnel), common among people who use computers all day, that made typing incredibly painful. We're building a future where everyone can write code with the highest-bandwidth input mechanism we have: our voice.
Our mission: make programming more efficient and accessible to everyone.
This role is based in San Francisco, CA!The Role & Responsibilities
We're looking for breadth-first engineers ready to tackle a variety of challenges across our stack—from backend scaling to frontend performance to programming language theory.
Here's a sample of projects you'd be able to work on from day 1:
Our Product Stack
- Build on top of open-source technologies like Tree Sitter and the Language Server Protocol to iterate on our generalized code transformation platform.
- Implement new voice commands that seamlessly automate even the most complex workflows.
- Meet with developers using the product in their daily workflows to understand what works well and what doesn't, then build solutions.
- Create integrations with developers' favorite tools and iterate on our cross-platform Electron app.
- Scale our containerized backend to handle a rapidly-growing number of developers using the product
Join Our Team!
- Our backend consists of modern, containerized, JVM-based, gRPC services on top of AWS technologies like RDS, ElastiCache, and S3.
- Our frontend is an Electron-based app written using TypeScript and React alongside native node.js addons and cross-platform components written in Rust (e.g., for Win32 and X11).
- Whenever possible, we contribute back to the open-source community.
- Maintain a Growth Mindset
- We welcome hard technical challenges, and in solving them, we're continually learning from each other. We're always trying to improve ourselves and show determination in solving problems
- Take Initiative
- We're building a team where everyone can freely contribute and discuss ideas. We value thinking beyond just the immediate scope of what we're working on and proposing new, sometimes crazy, ideas
- Communicate Directly
- As a small team, direct, respectful communication is critical to our success. We aim to create an environment where everyone can vocalize their ideas and meaningfully collaborate on solutions
- Go the Extra Mile
- Sometimes, spending an extra 5 minutes on a code refactor now can save someone else 5 hours down the line. We strive to maintain a high-quality bar to keep our iteration speed high