Communication Systems Engineer @ SpaceX - Hawthorne, CA
Communication Systems Engineer
Post a job for free in Hawthorne, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS ENGINEER
- Design and develop deep space communication systems and radio navigation systems
- Perform RF analysis to support design trades or verify the design, including link analysis
- Specify hardware requirements to ensure system performance, hardware compatibility, and meet robustness/testing standards
- Lead and conduct troubleshooting and root cause efforts for RF performance of integrated systems
- Support RF system testing and verification at launch sites or customer sites
- Develop test setups, procedures, and test programs/scripts for system verification
- Conduct or participate in customer and/or program technical review presentations
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with electromagnetic theory and/or RF communication systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in electrical engineering (electromagnetics, circuits, or signal processing)
- 3+ years of professional experience working with communication and radio navigation systems
- Experience with test equipment such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, network analyzer, channel emulator, power meters, software-defined radios, and common RF passive components
- Experience with digital communication theory and testing, with emphasis on bit error rate, error vector magnitude and system noise figure
- Experience modeling fading channels with multipath, co-channel and adjacent channel interference
- Experience modeling radar systems with various antenna systems and waveforms
- Experience with Python (or other language) programming for data analysis or test equipment interface
- Previous experience with RF design tools such ADS, AWR Microwave Office, CST, or HFSS
- Experience performing interference analysis and EMI/EMC evaluation for RF systems
- Knowledge of digital communication systems including spread spectrum, forward error correction, and modulation types such as FSK, BPSK, QPSK, QAM, and PCM/FM
- Self-driven to solve problems, and proven track record of being a team player
- Excellent communication and documentation skills and ability to collaborate with other engineering disciplines
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.