- 1+ years of computer science fundamentals (object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving and complexity analysis) experience
- Experience with object-oriented design
Ring Neighbors is looking to add a Front End Engineer to our rapidly growing Content Engineering team. Ring Neighbors (https://ring.com/neighbors), launched in 2018, is a hyperlocal social networking app providing real-time crime and safety alerts from neighbors and public safety agencies. With Neighbors, you can always know when and where things are happening in your area, and share updates to keep you and your community informed. The Neighbors app is available on iOS (4.8 stars), Android (4.6 stars), recently launched on Web, and is also included as an embedded experience within the Ring app. Neighbors is used by millions of people each month.
Key job responsibilities
As a Front End Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development of core services at Ring.
This role involves design, architecture, implementation, and operation of the large-scale cloud systems that make our neighborhood safer. You will be given the opportunity to autonomously deliver the technical direction of these services, and the feature roadmap. You will work with extraordinary talent and have the opportunity to hire and shape the team to best execute on the product.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a strong foundation in software development, design patterns, and cloud computing.
- Has experience working with large-scale cloud systems, understanding how to architect and build them
- Is highly effective and thrives in a dynamic environment with multiple, changing priorities
- Knows what is important when shipping products to customers and has been through the process from start to finish
- Promotes robust and maintainable code, clear documentation, and can deliver high quality work on tight schedules
- Is comfortable with proactive outward communication and technical leadership and never shies away from a challenge
A day in the life
The Neighbors Web teams are responsible for one of the core pieces of the Neighbors user experience. The teams have built services and apps written in a number of different programming languages and technologies including React
, Go, Java
, GQL, Swift
, Objective C, and Kotlin
About the team
The Neighbors experience is built around a social network feed, with a feed being defined by a user’s “alert area”. Alert areas are unique for every customer, and are defined using geospatial data. The team is responsible for managing geospatial data systems, originally powered by PostGIS, and now powered by OpenSearch. Geocoding, geospatial queries, geographic points (latitude / longitude) and geographic shapes (i.e. proximity to home, zip code, county, city, state) define how End Users, Public Safety Agencies, Third Party News Services, and the Neighbors News team interact with one another. You'll partner closely with these teams as you build and launch top-notch web based features.
We use a diverse set of AWS technologies including:
, SQS, Kinesis, API Gateway, CloudWatch, OpenSearch, Lambda, CloudAuth, Redshift
, Athena, Pinpoint along with Amazon’s standard Builder Hub Tools. The team consists of a combination of backend
, full-stack, and mobile application developers.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Hawthorne, CA, USA
- 1+ years of agile software development methodology experience
- Experience with common front-end technologies such as HTML, CSS, JS, TypeScript, and Node
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $115,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $223,600/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.