Manager, Test Operations (Starlink) @ SpaceX - Hawthorne, CA
Manager, Test Operations (Starlink)
Post a job for free in Hawthorne, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, TEST OPERATIONS (STARLINK)
This individual will lead a small team of highly multidisciplinary engineers and technicians to perform a wide variety of test equipment design and test execution in support of Starlink. Examples of such projects may include urgent development and investigation tests or test equipment design to support a critical production process. The team is expected to operate rapidly and autonomously; from developing requirement, designing and fabricating components, operating test equipment, and reviewing data as necessary.
- Manage a diverse team of engineers and technicians who specialize in mechanical, electrical, and data and control systems as well as test operations
- Learn and apply qualitative and quantitative methods to measure team effectiveness and performance
- Identify process improvement and modifications to develop strategies, increase efficiency, and improve upon existing company objectives
- Analyze and review data to ensure that processes and hardware are operating as expected
- Oversee team executing large projects or monitor smaller projects which may contain broad scope and limited definition to ensure that test / design objectives are being met
- Provide professional / technical guidance and mentorship to engineers in the team
- Coordinate with customers / support organizations to provide updates, feedback, and to ensure efficient execution of projects. Helps other teams when needed or seeks out resources as necessary
- React to rapidly changing priorities, travel to other SpaceX locations, and work unusual schedules as necessary to accomplish the assigned goal. Act as an individual contributor as necessary
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience with any combination of the following: mechanical design, electrical hardware design, test design and operation, systems engineering
- 2+ years of experience supervising small groups (informally or formally)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experienced with leading and driving projects, leading test teams, and developing documentation
- Demonstrated success in which multidisciplinary engineering skills were used to execute a design or test project under technical / schedule pressure and where the scope and definition was limited
- Ability to learn new skills or adapt to new situations. Unfazed by challenges that go beyond established experience
- Work experience with aerospace structural, mechanical or propulsion systems assembly and testing
- Experience where quick-thinking and problem solving plays a critical role
- Experience using test instrumentation and control components
- Working conditions may be in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings, and climbing hand over hand
- Must be able to lift heavy objects up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to work on ladders, lifts, and at elevated heights (up to 300 feet) with proper PPE
- Must be able to respond to emergencies to support priority projects, missions, and launches
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed; flexibility is required
- Must be able to work in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.