Manufacturing Engineer (Dragon Composites/Structures) @ SpaceX - Hawthorne, CA
Manufacturing Engineer (Dragon Composites/Structures)
Post a job for free in Hawthorne, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Manufacturing Engineer (Dragon Structures)
Dragon is a free-flying spacecraft designed to deliver both cargo and people to orbiting destinations. It is the only spacecraft currently flying that is capable of returning significant amounts of cargo to Earth. Currently Dragon carries cargo to space, and was designed from the beginning to carry humans.
- Perform a hands-on engineering role between the design team and production organization as SpaceX works to iterate on the design and ramp into rate based manufacturing phase.
- Responsible for the fabrication/assembly manufacturing processes of the Dragon spacecraft structure supporting all manufacturing aspects from design to the launch pad of primary and secondary structure hardware.
- Efficiently resolve non-conformances as they arise and aggressively track down root cause following through with corrective actions to eliminate reoccurrence.
- Prepare engineering documentation necessary for the transition from development to production including assembly instructions, process flow diagrams, standard repair plans, schematic diagrams, BOMs, and mechanical drawings.
- Develop and implement tooling into production processes.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical, aerospace, or manufacturing engineering.
- 1+ years experience of cradle-to-grave ownership in successfully taking a design from concept through prototype/test and into production manufacturing.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environments within the aerospace, marine or automotive industries
- Ability to create and deliver presentations for design and manufacturing readiness reviews
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team in a fast-paced iterative design environments
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software such as: NX/Unigraphics, Catia, Solidworks
- Demonstrated experience designing tooling in a manufacturing environment
- Hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Strong understanding of metallic and/or composite fabrication and assembly principles.
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends when necessary.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.