Manufacturing Engineer (Turbo-pump & Injector Assembly) @ SpaceX - Hawthorne, CA
Manufacturing Engineer (Turbo-pump & Injector Assembly)
Post a job for free in Hawthorne, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER - TURBO-PUMP & INJECTOR ASSEMBLY
The turbo-pump and injector manufacturing engineer is responsible for critical Merlin subassembly component fabrication, inspection, and build. Manufacturing engineers work hand-in-hand with technicians, machinists, maintenance, quality, and the design engineering team to develop and optimize production processing to enable Falcon 9 in the consistent and reliable transportation of people and payloads into Earth orbit and beyond.
- Support day-to-day production of the Merlin turbopump and injector assemblies, which includes manufacturing processes such as machining, EB & TIG welding, precision cleaning, NDT, heat treat, and assembly
- Create and manage manufacturing BOMs, work instructions, and specifications
- Analyze and disposition recurring manufacturing discrepancies and interface with the quality team on root cause analysis and corrective actions
- Develop new and evaluate existing weld schedules and manage weld tooling design and fabrication to reduce non-conformance frequency/severity
- Communicate on a daily basis with supporting departments such as production, machining, maintenance, quality, and design engineering to ensure that product is delivered on time to the correct quantities
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1 year minimum of experience from industry or participation in collegiate engineering or research projects
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with aerospace welding systems (e.g. electron beam, TIG, friction stir)
- Experience with non-destructive testing/non-destructive evaluation (e.g. fluorescent penetrant inspection, radiography, etc.)
- Experience with metallurgical evaluation and testing
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) experience
- CAD experience (NX & Teamcenter a plus)
- Tooling design experience
- Design for Manufacturability and assembly experience
- Experience with capacity modeling, process mapping, and fault analysis
- Experience with Lean Six Sigma or equivalent high-performance culture systems
- Pareto Analysis, Root Cause, and Corrective Action experience
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.