Mission Integration Engineer, Systems @ SpaceX - Hawthorne, CA
Mission Integration Engineer, Systems
Post a job for free in Hawthorne, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MISSION INTEGRATION ENGINEER, SYSTEMS - TOP SECRET CLEARED
In this role, you will integrate system trades of various launch vehicles, spacecraft, and sensors, as well as analyzing a wide variety of solutions to meet mission needs. You will have great latitude to be creative, conceiving and testing various approaches to determine which is best suited to meet technical and programmatic objectives. You will work with multi-disciplinary team to recommend candidate approaches, and support the development of operational concepts and the interfaces at the mission, segment, system, and sub-system levels. You will identify key performance parameters and constraints to enable mission success and future capabilities. An ideal candidate has a strong technical background in system architecture studies, interface control documents, requirements and concept of operations development, as well as experience across the program life cycle.
As a member of our Mission Management team, you will serve as a core point of contact for customers from early capabilities studies through successful delivery. You'll also support new business proposals from initial requirements negotiation through final handoff and validation.
We are looking for engineers who enjoy solving complex problems, can work effectively in a fast-paced environment and are passionate about advancing the space industry. This is a high impact role that contributes to SpaceX mission to get humans to Mars
- Distill customer mission requirements into actionable development objectives and verification plans
- Support all phases of development from initial proposal development through successful test, flight, on-orbit commissioning and demonstrations
- Help lead mission modeling and capabilities assessments in support of system design trades
- Support development of system concept of operations including spacecraft GNC design, payload operations and integration, and design reference missions
- Collaborate with subsystem representatives across team boundaries to consider all necessary trades and ensure end-to-end mission success
- Develop system requirements and interface control documents based on trade study results
- Evaluate open architecture standards and recommend changes to support operational approaches
- Work with all internal and external stakeholders to drive prototype hardware and software development
- Help lead all customer reviews and ensure that contract deliverables are delivered on time and per the customer's expectation
- Bachelor's degree in engineering with a minimum of 2 years of industry experience
- 2+ years of technical project management experience
- 2+ years of systems-level engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience working hands-on with hardware or software technical projects (school and project work is acceptable)
- Professional experience working with spacecraft
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in an engineering field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with direct experience negotiating technical deliverables or scope
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and external customers
- Experience in spacecraft guidance navigation & control, spacecraft payload mission modeling, or spacecraft operations
- Experience with open architecture development approaches and standards
- At least 3 years of experience working with government, NASA, or commercial spacecraft entities
- Highly detail oriented, diligent and hardworking
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance preferred. Must be willing to pursue a clearance if not already cleared. Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- Must be available to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to support critical milestones or operations shifts
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX offices and customer locations as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.