RF Engineer @ SpaceX - Hawthorne, CA
Post a job for free in Hawthorne, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- Design RF hardware for deep space applications, including RF signal chains for transmit and receive in S-band through Ka-band
- Project management for RF products – from concept to production – working with multidisciplinary teams
- Create electromagnetic simulation models of hardware (antennas, filters, PCB layout) to design or evaluate performance
- Develop test setups, procedures, and test programs/scripts for hardware verification
- Work with manufacturing and test and production engineers to design products
- Lead and conduct troubleshooting or root cause efforts for system performance
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with electromagnetic theory and/or RF communication systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in electrical engineering (electromagnetics, circuits, or signal processing)
- 3+ years of professional experience as a RF engineer
- Experience with test equipment such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, network analyzer, channel emulator, power meters, software-defined radios, and common RF passive components.
- Experience with electrical schematic capture software (Altium, Orcad or similar)
- Experience with electromagnetics simulation tools such as HFSS, CST, or similar
- Experience with Python (or other language) programming for data analysis or test equipment interface
- Experience with antenna design
- Familiarity with environmental testing of RF equipment including thermal, shock, vibration, and vacuum
- Able to navigate the smith chart and experience with transmission line theory, impedance matching, filters, and S-parameters
- Experience with amplifier design (low noise or power) and assessing stability, noise figure, and Psat with non-linear simulation
- Familiarity with digital communications and signal processing including pulse shaping, matched filters, modulation, etc.
- Self-driven to solve problems, and proven track record of being a team player.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills and ability to collaborate with other engineering disciplines.
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.