Director Sales and Operations -Retail Non-Profit (V.P. level) @ Goodwill, SOLAC - Long Beach, CA
Director Sales and Operations -Retail Non-Profit (V.P. level)
Post a job for free in Long Beach, CA
Required documents: Qualification Questions, Cover Letter, and Resume
Director of Retail Sales & Operations Position – Southern Los Angeles County (VP level)
This position is responsible for all aspects of Retail Sales & Operations, inclusive of 20 Retail operations, transportation & goods processing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Ability to lead and direct efficient and effective operations of retail division to
achieve financial goals.
· Ability to develop strategy, implement plans, and analyze results of growth
· Demonstrated proficiency in supply chain management and logistics in order to
collect, manage and distribute inventory & materials with both safety and
efficiency in mind.
· Experience designing and managing processes, staff recruitment and
development, lease negotiation, management and purchasing.
· Proven record of accomplishment running multiple sectors of a business
· Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to convey a positive
and professional image to employees, and customers.
· Ability to motivate, empower and inspire direct reports and teams to ensure
a positive learning environment and support brand consistency.
· Ability to work flexible hours, meet deadlines, attend meetings, convene and
· Ability to pass a criminal background check.
· Ability to maintain confidential information.
· Ability to embrace and work effectively with diversity
Education and Experience:
· Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business Management, Marketing, Finance, or any other related field; and
· Ten (10) years professional experience in managing retail group units in a position of division or regional sales manager or director.
· Three (3) years experience in managing online sales, production and transportation logistics.
· Minimum three (3) years experience and working knowledge of donated goods, discount retail, and/or consignment operations is a plus.
- Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
· Under general supervision of the President & CEO, the Director of Sales & Operations oversees all operations in connection with the sale of donated goods, inclusive of; brick & mortar retail stores, online store, hazardous waste, salvage, recycling, transportation, donated goods collection, processing, and commercial loss prevention.
· Develops and initiates systems, policies, and procedures for translating operational, marketing and sales functions, lease negotiations, customer and vendor relations and financial measurement of all integrated results.
· Trains and hires staff; performs annual staff evaluations; directs management of annual Division operating budget, strategic planning, and market-driven research.
· Continuously and proactively analyze all site performance, and develop recommended action plans in support of revenue optimization as well as comp store growth.
· Meets and or exceeds the approved annual budget, and strategic plan objectives.
EXEMPLARY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Develops, implements, and monitors the goals, projects, policies, procedures, methods, and controls; directs the general commercial activities, including strategic development, research, surveys, market intercepts, location analysis, lease negotiations, ADA compliance, and community relations for each unit.
· Has direct responsibility for purchasing, inventory controls, pricing, and maintenance of maintained markups for surplus and purchased goods, division loss prevention and control systems including material and monetary practices (in concert with Goodwill’s Asset Protection Department), and ensure all units are in compliance with agency standards.
· Leads the Division in promoting creative and effective donation collections, marketing, solicitation, point of sale and display (merchandising) techniques. Supervises the recruitment, hiring, and evaluation of Division 400 personnel; develops team management (employee-service participant) style that
provides open communication and opportunity for input; and reviews donor, customer, and salvage information to promote improved relations and results.
· Direct, support and oversee transportation activities, including fleet maintenance, presentation, truck graphics, replacement scheduling, driver training,safety programs and accurate recordkeeping.
· Support and direct dock material handling, raw storage, finished storage, trash removal, hazmat, baling, salvage sales, processing and distribution activities including equipment acquisition and maintenance, grading, handling methods, safety practices, pricing and containerization.
· Partners with Human Resources to address employee relations issues; identify appropriate training and/or coaching opportunities and follow up to ensure effective, legally compliant, and consistent resolutions are reached.
· Insures that practices and requirements of Goodwill Industries International (GII), Commission of Accreditation of Rehabilitating Facilities (CARF) and state laws and regulations are met; and demonstrates progressive team-oriented contributions, providing leadership and direction as a member of the Leadership Steering Team.
· The Director shall possess knowledge of the principles and practices of sales management, including marketing, merchandising, advertising, customer relations, employee recruitment, evaluation, training, management by objective, budgeting planning, retail/donation site selection, logictics, production processes, Kaisen, and on-line sales.
· He/she shall have a demonstrated knowledge and effective communication, principles of record management, inventory control and point of sale systems, product pricing and modern retail design system/lay-out.
· Lead by example to inspire, motivate, mentor, and educate the team while collectively building the Goodwill retail service culture and brand.
· The Director shall have demonstrated skill in planning, coordinating and directing a complex commercial operation; in communicating clearly and concisely with management and the community.
· He/she shall be skilled in presenting ideas effectively, orally and in writing, and in dealing constructively with conflict and developing consensus leadership competencies in building a high value organization.
Core Competencies II:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies;
· Confidentiality – Understands and adheres to high level confidentially in all work related information discussions and information sharing in all meetings of the board, and by upper level staff.
· Ethics and Values – Adheres to Goodwill core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values.
· Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions;
works well in a group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics, people and/or situations
· Task Management –Communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget.
· Technical Skills – Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others
· Customer Service – Responds promptly to customer needs; solicits employee feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
· Interpersonal Skills – Listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others ideas and tries new things
· Verbal Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills effectively; participates in meetings.
· Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others views; welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; promotes inclusiveness, puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
· Diversity –Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment. Must be able to work with diverse cultures, as well as those with barriers to employment, inclusive of disabled populations.
· Inclusion & Equality – Is inclusive, shows respect and sensitivity for all differences; gender, sexual orientation, and culture. Promotes equality in all aspects of work-life at Goodwill SOLAC
The Director must possess a valid California motor vehicle operator’s license, and be willing to use his/her personal vehicle in the course of employment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $120,000.00 - $150,000.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Nonprofit Retail: 5 years (Required)
- Site Performance Analysis: 5 years (Required)
- Donated Goods Management: 5 years (Required)
- Brick & Mortar Retail: 5 years (Required)
- E-Commerce: 3 years (Required)
- Life Cycle of Donated Goods: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- California Driver's License (Required)
- United States (Preferred)