Chef @ Union Rescue Mission - Los Angeles, CA
Post a job for free in Los Angeles, CA
Position Summary: Prepare quality meals for any of the three meals served every day of the week (up to 1500+ meals per shift) and special events. This position frequently works alongside program residents and volunteers and is expected to be totally immersed in the day-to-day operations involved with running an institutional kitchen while practicing safe food handling standards and procedures.
- Preparing, cooking and serving meals
- Food prepared must meet quality and Serve-safe standards for taste, temperature (doneness) and visual appeal.
- Use all equipment in a safe manner according to proper procedures – stove, title skillet, kettle, convection ovens, can openers, knives, steam tables, ice wands, trash compactor, carts)
- Organizing storage rooms, food racks, labeling and dating and properly rotating food in coolers.
- Taking inventory and checking orders that arrive from the warehouse.
- Following opening and closing procedures (i.e. ovens turned off, doors locked, all food properly stored)
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Periodically visits dining area when it is open to welcome guest.
- Provide direction to volunteers & apprentices
- Supervise any individuals that are working on your shift.
- Train others as needed on safety, food preparation & cooking.
- Displays constant behavior in Christian ministry.
- Keep close communication with Chaplains regarding program participants.
- Develop & maintain relationships with ministry & volunteers.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Minimum of 1 year of prior institutional cooking experience (school cafeteria, prison, shelter) preparing food for large volumes of people preferred.
- Must be Serve-safe certified or certified with National Registry of Food Safety Professionals (NRFSP).
- Preferred 1 year of culinary school or similar vocational training
High school diploma or equivalent..
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal formats.
- Must possess basic computer skills
- Must be able to operate kitchen equipment properly.
- Must possess excellent organizational, time management and customer service skills.
Physical Demands: In general, the following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow differently-abled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Requires manual dexterity for regular repetitive finger motion and frequently reaching, pulling, pushing and lifting of objects and operating equipment
- May be exposed to handling hazardous materials such as broken glass