As part of UCLA's External Affairs organization, the Government and Community Relations (GCR) team communicates the impact of UCLA's world-class education, renowned health system, ground breaking research, and over 1200 community partnerships to government officials and influencers. Through its divisions of Federal, State and Local Relations, GCR leads a dedicated team in the cultivation of meaningful relationships that advance UCLA's priorities within government and the community.
Working closely with the Associate Vice Chancellor, GCR, the Senior Executive Director will serve as the AVC's deputy and will assist in managing and guiding all GCR units and efforts. This individual will also lead the Community & Local Relations team within GCR and will direct, manage, and serve as the primary university point of contact and advisor to the chancellor and senior leadership and administration campus-wide on a wide variety of civic and community engagement initiatives and programs as well as oversee local government relations for UCLA. The Senior Executive Director will be responsible for strategic planning and coordination of resources as well as developing and disseminating accurate, timely and credible information about UCLA and its activities to local and regional elected officials and government agencies. This individual will engage deeply with the LA community and will develop and execute a plan to effectively and efficiently leverage the vast intellectual, informational and human resources of the university in an effort to address and resolve community, local and regional challenges.
The Senior Executive Director will strategically and effectively engage in Los Angeles communities and local government affairs to increase UCLA's visibility in the city and county of LA, ensuring UCLA's commitment as an institution of choice for policymakers seeking solutions to the area's challenges. As the university enters its second century, UCLA recognizes the imperative to ensure a more genuine and positively impactful relationship with the greater Los Angeles region. The Senior Executive Director will be committed to building, maintaining and expanding relationships with the communities and cities that surround the university as a critical element of UCLA's mission and successful operation.Percentage of Time:
8:00 amShift End:
Qualifications for Position
1. Minimum of ten years of combined relevant experience working in legislative roles for elected officials, advocating on specific issues, working in government agencies and building strategic partnerships.
2. Strong understanding and awareness of federal, state, and local legislative and regulatory processes.
3. Demonstrated experience managing a government relations program including strong managerial skills to supervise multi-function managerial, professional and support staff.
4. Strong government relations skills, with an emphasis on issues management, strategic communications, and public affairs skills.
5. Demonstrated expertise in identification, cultivation and engagement of volunteer leadership, board development and management in public and/or non-profit entities.
6. Demonstrated success in design and implementation of short- and long-term plans to achieve organizational goals.
7. Strength in conceiving, assessing/evaluating, and integrating innovative and effective programs with other existing activities and ensuring that they support the mission, vision, goals and objectives of the organization.
8. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with a variety of constituencies and multiple interests to define and achieve organizational objectives.
9. Superior analytical skills and ability to frame complex issues and problems to seek optimal solutions that serve the best interests of the organization and institution.
10. Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking, coaching and persuasive communication techniques and approaches.
11. Experience supervising executive, professional and support personnel. Staff management background to include hiring, evaluation, motivation, discipline, and appropriate delegation.
12. Understanding of, experience in, and success thriving in large complex, hierarchical environments preferably in a higher education setting.
13. Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, set priorities and delegate.
14. Experience constructing and administering budgets and programs.
15. Advanced degree is preferred.
Additional Posting InformationBargaining Unit:
99-Policy CoveredApplication Deadline:
10-31-2020External Posting Date: