When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The Department of Computational Medicine is a robust infrastructure that supports bioinformatics, computational, and statistical needs of all faculty across the Cedars-Sinai enterprise and the expanding needs of our Departments and Institutes.
The Lead Programmer Analyst is responsible for leading a team that provides application development supporting business objectives while providing expertise in software development lifecycle phases from concept and design to testing. This role will analyze, design, and build component-based applications, including the introduction of an application layer, modeling techniques, component, and object-oriented design, complex algorithmic coding, and systematic approaches to application integration. As a lead, you will work on new and existing applications, perform hands-on coding, mentor junior developers, and assist in architecting solutions. You will also serve as liaison to internal customers, research groups, and various business support areas.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads a team in the design, specification, and build of component-based applications, including application analysis, modeling techniques, component, and object-oriented design, complex algorithmic coding, as well as a systematic approach to application integration.
- Scope, implement, test, and deploy new features and versions of core applications, databases, and utilities.
- Debug and maintain deployments of core applications, databases, and utilities.
- Create enhancements to primary and supporting websites, web applications, and infrastructures.
- Create component/subsystem documentation. Produce design and technical specifications as needed for technical documentation.
- Translate customer requirements, recommend system solutions, and formulate detailed specifications from which programs are written. Work closely with business partners to produce quality products that meet business needs.
- Provide and support technology infrastructure and assist with architecting solutions.
- Liaison with end users, research groups, and other business support areas.
- Facilitate the design and technical meetings. Provide technical documentation to internal business and design teams.
- Provide leadership to the team in the form of mentoring, training, guidance with daily task assignments, and serving as subject matter expert on most applications.
- Independently designs, implements, tests, deploys, documents, and maintains databases, algorithms, applications, analysis pipelines, and results reporting methodologies.
- Work with team members to apply databases, algorithms, applications, analysis pipelines, and results reporting methodologies to basic science and clinical data for research.
- Collaborate on translational research projects including data analysis, results interpretation, and manuscript preparation.
- Conduct training on the development and application of complex databases and software.
- Maintain knowledge of ground breaking methods and standard methodologies for software engineering and computer programming.
- Supervise staff to assist with all software engineering and computer programming projects.
Experience and Skillset:
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Sciences, Mathematics, or related discipline is required. Master's degree, preferred.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience managing application design, software development, maintenance.
- Superior organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated experience using various programming languages.
- Technical understanding of data and relational databases and technical data design.
- Unix, Linux, and Windows operating systems
- C#, C++, C skills helpful.
- Highly competent in software engineering including design, optimization, version control, and unit testing.
- Proficiency in database design and development including relational and graph databases.
- Experience with artificial intelligence and machine learning is desirable.
- Experience with container software such as Docker a plus
- Experience with biomedical ontologies and data is a plus.
- Experience with Github a plus
- Ability to work independently and apply critical thinking and sound judgment.
- Science writing a plus
- Ability to supervise others and communicate effectively with team members and collaborators.
- Excellent time management and organizations skills is essential.