Major Gift Officer @ Charles R. Drew University - Los Angeles, CA
Major Gift Officer
Post a job for free in Los Angeles, CA
The Major Gift Officer will be responsible for prospect research, solicitation strategy, cultivation, donor outreach, gift proposal development, reporting and stewardship as well as making direct gift solicitations. The position will also support other fundraising initiatives as needed.
- Relationship Building
- Expand and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders in the philanthropic community, donors, and peers
- Support and lead efforts of subordinate staff and coordinate Board of Directors to execute long-term fundraising
- Represent the University to key prospects and at key events in defined geographic areas.
Donor Prospecting and Solicitation
- Research, qualify and cultivate new institutional and individual giving prospects
- Manage a portfolio of donors including serving as primary solicitor as appropriate
- Establish cultivation strategy and manage stakeholder substantive involvement for donors in the major gifts cycle
- Cultivate and maintain strong relations to support organization-wide efforts in philanthropic community
- Research, identify and cultivate new foundation and major gift prospects
Information Management and Donor Stewardship
- Maintain existing donor/partner relationships
- Conduct donor briefings and updates
- Establish, track and assess major gifts and foundation fundraising metrics
- Prepare thorough, accurate, and concisely written research reports, which may include biographical and financial information, potential for philanthropic support, areas of interest, affiliations on individuals, and research on corporations and foundations
- Special Projects & Initiatives
- Manage/augment fundraising projects on an as-need basis
- Plan specialized development projects
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field or equivalent experience working in a complex university setting.
- Demonstrated track record in securing and managing 6- and 7-figure foundation and private sector grants OR managing a multi-year blended campaign
- Five to seven years of experience of fundraising experience in major gifts.
- At least five years of non-profit fundraising experience, preferably with a significant experience in major gifts, multi-year fundraising campaigns, and foundation relations.
- Thorough background in fundraising best practices and experience in Raisers Edge database management for donor and solicitation records.
- Broad knowledge of the principles and practices of annual giving and major gift fundraising.
- Highly developed interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with the campus community and external customers.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to provide leadership in gift solicitation.
- Ability to recruit, motivate and encourage volunteers.
- Ability to listen effectively to discern donors’ interests and concerns.
- Ability to travel locally
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.