BACKEND ENGINEER, SPATIALAND
We believe immersive experiences in virtual reality will transform the way people shop. Spatialand is here to create that future.
Located in Venice, CA, we are defining the next generation of retail by leveraging VR to connect brands, products and consumers in immersive, memorable experiences. And, we are doing it in partnership with the largest retailer in the world. Spatialand is a portfolio company of Store N° 8, Walmart's technology incubation platform.
In this role, you will be responsible for designing and integrating connected features into our products, including backend services, authentication, e-commerce flow, and client-side connectivity.Top reasons to work with us:
You will love this job if you are:
- You love using technology to impact consumers' daily lives - we are constantly tinkering with new VR hardware/software, researching emerging trends in retail and combining them to create unique experiences for consumers
- We are a startup with the backing of the Fortune 1 - our day-to-day vibe is startup, but we've got the resources and commitment of Walmart, the world's largest retailer that's built its brand on saving money and helping consumers live better
- Building the next generation of retail excites you - we are developing immersive retail experiences for today's consumer, while building the future of commerce - a future we call v-commerce™ - where we believe VR will play a central role
What you'll oversee (and often do):
- Customer-oriented - you enjoy supporting a core engineering team providing expertise
- Adaptive - you are flexible, agile, and capable of prototyping and deploying features swiftly
- Future-focused - you look around the corner considering scalability, extensibility, and robustness of the solutions
- Lead, architect, coding, and implementation for connected features such as customer identity, online APIs, cloud services/storage, BI/analytics, and ecommerce flow
- Test and document systems and APIs, supporting usage across multiple projects and teams
- Manage relationships with key Walmart technology stakeholders, able to represent Spatialand needs and keep the ball moving
- Identify and define the services that need to be connected (across internal systems and Walmart systems) and features to support product needs
- Manage underlying services to support Spatialand product operations
- Experience with client and server-side implementation - build and deploy services and integrate them
- Experience with systems analysis, documentation, implementation, QA, and deployment
- Solid understanding of cloud services architecture, scalability, security, failover, and robustness
- Hands-on development knowledge of RESTful API architectures and best-practices, and testing tools such as SoapUI, Postman, etc.
- Knowledge or familiarity of:
- OAuth protocols
- Java / Tomcat
- PlayFab desired
- Azure / AWS and other scalable on-demand cloud services
- Maven, Travis, TestNG, Sonar
- Git and Perforce
- MySQL and noSQL database solutions
- Unity (ability to prototype and test features) knowledge is a bonus
- Prior experience being key-member of online technology or infrastructure team highly valuable
- Experience of entire product lifecycle from feature design to live deployment
- Ecommerce experience with transaction systems, security (consumer protection), and familiar with GDPR and PII requirements
- Understanding of critical needs of 24/7 live operations
Pay, perks & such
At Spatialand, we provide competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health (medical, vision, dental) coverage, a 401K plan, pre-tax commuter benefits, flex PTO. Of course, we also have startup perks like snacks, engaging events and an office full of energy and people committed to our mission. We love to communicate, which is why we also have weekly team lunches and regularly-scheduled all-hands meetings. We empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big, long-term problems.
Come join us!