Blue Origin's vision is to shape a future where millions of people live and work in space for the benefit of Earth. We believe that to preserve our planet, humanity must expand beyond our limits, venturing into space to explore and discover new energy and material resources.
In pursuit of this vision, we invite you to join our dynamic Space Resources Program. We're dedicated to developing and demonstrating In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) technologies for the Moon and beyond. If our mission resonates with you and you're eager to contribute, you could be the perfect addition to our inclusive, open-minded, and forward-thinking team.
In this hands-on role, you will work entirely onsite at our Los Angeles Facility with the Space Resources Program team. We're seeking a dedicated materials and processes application engineer who can engage in all phases of a rapid product development cycle, from Technology Development to formal design, implementation, environmental testing, and final integration. We value self-motivated, hands-on individuals who can find practical solutions to abstract problems. This role requires expertise in fabricating, testing, and analyzing high-temperature material assemblies and integrated molten regolith electrolysis systems. You will be responsible for setting up and running experiments, collecting data, analyzing data, and generating reports to communicate observed material interactions and subsystem failure modes. You will also conduct tests on high-temperature testbeds, prepare materials for structural and chemical characterization, and perform sample analysis. Your understanding of optical microscopy, electron microscopy, x-ray fluorescence, and x-ray diffraction will be highly leveraged. Our teams work in fast-paced cycles of design, analysis, and construction to deliver a scalable solution. We're looking for someone adaptable, willing to take action, eager to learn, and committed to safety and quality. Your creativity, innovative spirit, and ability to navigate changing requirements are crucial.
- B.S. in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field + 2 years of laboratory experience OR 7 years of laboratory experience.
- Knowledge of systems engineering principles and execution.
- Strong hands-on mechanical skill.
- Ability to work safely in a laboratory with chemical and high-temperature hazards.
- Experience in building mechanical/electrical test articles.
- Experience in running analytical tests on electrical, mechanical, or materials processing systems; extracting and processing data.
- Experience in a chemistry or materials science laboratory.
- Experience in microscopy sample preparation (mounting, cutting, and polishing).
- Experience in microscopy characterization (SEM, optical).
- Experience in high-temperature furnace operations.
- Knowledge of vacuum systems (pumps, fittings, vacuum gauges, etc.).
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze data and communicate results.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a high-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to earn trust and maintain positive and professional relationships.
- Excellent communication skills, including generating reports, documenting test results, and using concise verbal language to describe laboratory results.
- B.S. in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field + 5 years of experience.
- Knowledge of high-temperature ceramics and refractory metals.
- Knowledge of electrochemical systems and testing.
- Experience in high-temperature furnace design and construction.
- Experience in EDS/XRF/XRD analysis.
- Proficiency in Python and LabView.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation range for on site WA applicants is $111,690-$163,812
Compensation range for on site CA applicants is $111,690-$163,812
Other site ranges may differ
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.