Align yourself with an organization that has a reputation for excellence! Cedars Sinai was awarded the National Research Corporation’s Consumer Choice Award 19 times for providing the highest-quality medical care in Los Angeles. We also received the Advisory Board Company’s Workplace of the Year, 3 years in a row. This annual award recognizes hospitals and health systems nationwide that have outstanding levels of employee engagement. Discover why U.S. News & World Report has named us one of America’s Best Hospitals!
The Sterile Processing Instrument Technician requires in-depth knowledge of sterilization practices and standards, decontamination and assembly within the surgical services area in an acute care hospital. Incumbent will have case load specific knowledge of equipment, instruments and supplies used on all cases for the assigned OR unit. Responsibilities also include building case carts and making OR rounds to monitor and maintain inventory par levels of trays in the sterile storage area, the unit specific peel packs, and anticipate and meet the needs of the assigned OR unit. Active participation in process
improvement, quality assurance, training, orienting and/or precept of staff. Performs other related duties as required.
Primary duties and responsibilities in order of most significance:
- Works closely with Operating Room (OR) Services staff to review the Surgical Schedule for the assigned OR unit in advance
to build case carts. Maintains schedules and carts for emergency or add-on cases as necessary.
- Conducts routine rounds on assigned Operating Room (OR) floors and acts as the primary liaison for OR Services staff to
ensure instruments needs and requests are filled timely as to not impact patient care.
- Maintains Sterile Storage Stock and routinely inspects instruments and keeps inventory including maintenance of set par
levels, rotation of trays in storage and checking expiration dates as applicable. Ensures clean and orderly supply area.
- Facilitates communication between Operating Room (OR) and Sterile Processing Department (SPD) regarding status of
trays, needs lists, instruments in need of repair, and new instrument requests.
- Assists with distribution, processing and decontamination of supplies and equipment as required; responsible for
maintenance of selected items; responsible for Immediate-Use-Steam Sterilization process per standard guidelines.