Discover It Here
At Nordstromrack.com and HauteLook, we strive to empower millions of shoppers through choice and discovery of the hottest fashion at great prices. Our company works at the intersection of technology, fashion and design, we value employees who have great insights into fashion and e-commerce, think creatively and embody Nordstrom’s values and customer focus. Our diverse dynamic culture attracts creative, passionate individuals with a determined, can-do attitude and entrepreneurial spirit. Work in a fun, casual, and collaborative work environment in the heart of Downtown LA.Summary
As Senior Software Engineer 1
on the Catalog Management team, you will be developing web facing and internal APIs, Applications and Services that support the NordstromRack.com and HauteLook product catalog systems and processes including item setup and maintenance, item classification, product pricing, product image and copy tooling, plus more. Our team is full stack with a bias towards the backend. Legacy services are maintained in PHP, Symfony2, jQuery, MySQL. New services are built with Functional Scala, React.js, Akka Streams, Kafka, RabbitMQ, and Docker.
Some initiatives we are currently focused on:
A day in the life...
- Increasing item setup and maintenance automation
- Researching and prototyping machine learning solutions for automated item data mapping and transformation
- Writing higher performance replacements for Inventory, Product, Sell-ability, and Pricing API’s in Scala
- Replacing PHP tools and services with microservices based on more modern platforms written in Scala/Akka/Kafka
You own this if you have...
- Understand complex business requirements to identify and define technology solutions.
- Collaborate with internal business and technology partners to identify options and analyze pros and cons.
- Make recommendations for complex technical designs that align with technology standards.
- Develop best effort estimates for project planning.
- Lead efforts to create and document technical design of systems.
- Lead complex application development and production support efforts.
- Create system architectures, manage source code, coordinate development environment configuration and plan for release and deployment to ensure optimal development and production support.
- Define and assign tasks, coordinate activities and review team deliverables.
- Provide timely and effective communication regarding work status to appropriate stakeholders. Escalate issues and propose solutions.
- Coordinate with application support team to ensure optimal software release for complex and/or large implementations with cross-team dependencies.
- Write application code, tests to exercise the code, document the design, and troubleshoot/debug the systems and applications.
- Analyze and troubleshoot the most complex problems or software bugs to determine appropriate solution and perform complex code fixes.
- Implement applications and modules utilizing standard programming tools and techniques.
- Support quality development efforts by performing unit testing and contributing to test case development.
- Create documentation of system designs according to development standards.
- Provides leadership in advancing the skill set and improving team practices.
- Actively participate in various forums related to process improvement and best practices.
- Identify opportunities and makes recommendations to enhance development practices and processes of the team.
- Closely collaborate with team members and mentors less experienced developers.
We’ve got you covered…
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of hands-on professional experience in delivering quality software, ideally across the full stack
- Expert in modern software development with multi-paradigm languages, such as Scala, Java, or C#
- Expert in software design concepts such as the SOLID principles, Design Patterns, or Domain-Driven Design
- Experienced in SQL development with expertise in optimizing queries object-relational mapping
- Experienced in frontend web application development with frameworks such as React or Angular
- Experienced in distributed systems integration with messaging/streaming platforms such as Kafka or RabbitMQ
- Experienced in agile software development methods, such as Scrum or Extreme Programming
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Time Off
- Merchandise Discount
- Lifework / EAP resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com .
© 2019 Nordstrom, Inc.
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.