Supervising Mechanical Engineer @ Los Angeles Unified School District - Los Angeles, CA
Supervising Mechanical Engineer
Post a job for free in Los Angeles, CA
We are LAUSD. We are at the forefront of innovation in public schools,
with the serious work of tailoring the learning environment to better serve
our community. Here, you will have the opportunity to exercise your
potential in the business of education.
We are technical professionals, skilled workers, support staff, executives,
and community champions. We do our jobs with a sense of integrity,
accountability, and pride in shaping the future.
Our contributions here impact our number one customers - the 600,000
plus K-12 students of LAUSD. With over 1,000 job titles to choose from,
build your rewarding career here by joining nearly 30,000 employees,
and achieve new levels of success in your career!
Benefits Insurance: Paid premiums for your choice of several medical, dental,
vision, and life insurance plans. Retirement: Membership in the California
Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS).
Vacation: Two weeks of paid vacation to start. Three weeks after five
years of year-round paid service. Paid Holidays: 12 days.
NOTE: Positions in this job classification may be offered on a 10 or 11
month basis - salary and paid time off for 10 or 11 month positions will be
adjusted accordingly. Positions in this job classification may be subject to
additional furlough days.
Job Duties/Responsibilities Some of the primary duties that a Supervising Mechanical Engineer will
perform require that he/she:
- Supervises the personnel and activities of the Mechanical Engineering
Unit engaged in: the preparation of mechanical engineering project
scope definition documents,designs, working drawings, and
specifications for mechanical systems and equipment, such as heating,
air conditioning, plumbing, water, sanitary, and drainage systems;
compilation of data required for the preparation of drawings and
specifications; calculation and estimation of costs of mechanical systems
and installations; and the review and approval of drawings and
specifications prepared by commissioned mechanical engineers and
consulting engineers for compliance with regulations and to identify
inconsistencies with other architectural and engineering plans and
- Serves as the Engineer of Record for District mechanical engineering
work requiring Division of State Architect (DSA) or other relevant
governing agency approval.
- Selects the commissioned mechanical engineers, arranges special
work programs and procedures, and supervises the execution of the
programs;evaluates proposals on the scope of work and fees; reviews
completed work; and recommends payment or nonpayment of partial
and final fees.
- Consults, advises, and gives technical direction to commissioned
architects, structural engineers,and their consulting mechanical
engineers on District policies and guides for the design of ’various
- Prepares or directs the preparation of mechanical design specifications
and standards and maintains mechanical engineering guides to ensure
conformance with applicable codes within the framework of quality,
economy, and District policies.
- Confers with and advises District personnel, utility company officials,
trade groups, manufacturers' representatives, and public officials on
problems and matters relating to the District's mechanical engineering
- Consults with and advises maintenance and inspection personnel
relative to mechanical facilities and equipment.
- Supervises the preparation and dissemination of public utility service
orders and drawings, signs contracts with utility firms for the District, and
recommends approval of utility service payments.
- Conducts research, requests field testing, reviews and evaluates
field-test results, and prepares reports on mechanical systems,
equipment, and installation methods and related costs.
- Performs the more difficult mechanical engineering work.
- Develops the District's mechanical engineering policies and establishes
standards for mechanical engineering work.
- Advises District administrators on the qualifications of commissioned
mechanical engineers proposed by commissioned architects or structural
For a complete list of duties, please review the class description at
Minimum Requirements Education: Graduation from high school or evidence of equivalent
Experience: Five years of experience planning, designing, and preparing
mechanical engineering designs and specifications for large commercial,
governmental, or school building projects as a registered mechanical
engineer. Two years of engineering experience in a supervisory or
management position is preferable.
- A valid license as a Professional Engineer in Mechanical Engineering
issued by the California Board for Professional Engineers, Land
Surveyors, and Geologists.
- A valid California Driver License.
- Use of an automobile
- Ability to climb ladders and scaffolds, walk on roofs, and move safely in
partially completed buildings and crawl spaces.
Desirable Qualifications The ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge of:
- Principles and standard practices of mechanical engineering, including
energy conservation applications
- State and local codes pertaining to mechanical engineering features of
building construction,including energy conservation regulations
- Relationship of mechanical engineering to other engineering and
architectural features of buildings,including cost and operation
- Capabilities of a computer-aided design software system
- Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Principles of organization, personnel management, and progressive
- Principles of project management
Further, the ideal candidate will also possess the ability to effectively:
- Provide technical review and advice tactfully and effectively
- Comprehend drawings and specifications and edit the work of others
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Supervise effectively
- Work effectively with commissioned architects and engineers, District
personnel, andrepresentatives of public agencies and utility companies
Employment Selection Process IMPORTANT: The application period has been extended to 7/3/20, no
further applications will be accepted after 7/3/20.
The assessment process for this classification will tentatively consist of a
ALL FUTURE CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE CONDUCTED VIA
EMAIL, so please check your email account regularly. As part of the
application process, you will NOT be required to submit a cover letter.
Please be sure to include correspondence from @lausd.net as an
approved sender so that messages aren't accidentally placed into your
spam/junk e-mail folder.
All successful candidates will be required to submit original transcripts
and high school diploma or equivalent to demonstrate they have met the
entrance requirements prior to placement on the list of eligible
For more information about the LAUSD employment assessment
process, visit the 'My LAUSD Career' section of our website at
Application Process DO YOU NEED TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE WITH THE ON-LINE
Please visit www.lausdjobs.org and click on "help desk service request
form" located to the left of the Quick Links.
To find out whether the application deadline has been extended, visit the
website at: http://www.lausdjobs.org .
The Los Angeles Unified School District intends that all qualified persons
shall have equal opportunities for employment and promotion.
Reasonable accommodations in completing an application and testing
are available to individuals with disabilities. Please call (213) 241-3455
for more information.
Additional Posting Information Selection and promotion are based on a competitive employment
assessment process. Candidates who pass all parts of the assessment
process are placed on a hiring (eligibility) list based on their assessment
score. Hiring departments may make job offers to candidates on the top
three ranks of the hiring list. Eligibility typically lasts for 12 months. The
hiring list resulting from this assessment process may be used to fill open
positions in related job classifications.