SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Director, Network Operations Engineering (Starlink)
One of the most ambitious missions that SpaceX has undertaken to date, the Starlink satellite constellation is our solution to providing reliable, low latency, high bandwidth internet to the entire world. We are looking for a Director of Network Operations to build and operate a network with global scale. This person will run a small team with significant impact on the service delivered to our customers around the world including networks, user-facing software, and service. The director will need to be both technical and strategic, with the ability to scale systems and operations with a focus on automation and innovation.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the overall 24x7 network operation, from the customer equipment connecting to satellite constellation (the User Terminal) through the satellite network, terrestrial connections, and the peering and hand-off to the rest of the internet.
- Build, lead, and develop the Network Operations Team
- Act as product owner for technical infrastructure tools and software used in the NOC
- Innovate ways to scale with automation and operational improvements
- Manage network interconnections, network colocation sites, and points of presence
- Ensure daily operations, track work on projects, changes, and incidents.
- Measure and maintain the uptime and performance of the network
- Measure and maintain service level agreements
- Support the implementation and growth/scale to the network
- Act as the escalation point for customer incidents and troubleshooting
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, information systems, math, physics, or similar technical field; 10+ years of network engineering experience accepted in place of degree
- 5+ years of industry experience operating large-scale global networks
- 5+ years leading and managing teams
- Master's degree in computer science, engineering, or related field
- Ability to lead, mentor, and grow team members
- Deep understanding of carrier networks including:
- Network connectivity (Ethernet, IPv4, IPv6, optical media, Wave Division Multiplexing)
- Routing (BGP, OSPF, IS-IS)
- Switching (layer 2, MPLS, etc)
- Tunneling technologies (GRE, IPSec, QinQ, L2VPN, etc)
- Internet Services (DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc)
- Subscriber Management (BNG, RADIUS/AAA, QoS, OSS/BSS integration)
- Network security and anti-DDoS measures
- Mobile IP
- Network peering, content delivery networks, data centers and colocation
- Software Defined Networking (SDN)
- Network management and monitoring tools
- Industry certifications such as those from Cisco and Juniper
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Must be willing to travel globally
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here ( http://pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html ).
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.