All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration – to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Associate Principal Director will be responsible for the leadership and management (in association with the Principal Director) of the Software Engineering Subdivision (SES) in the ETG Information Systems and Cyber Division. The subdivision has more than 100 staff and managers responsible for software risk assessment and evaluation, software architecting and engineering, software system development support, software processes / process improvement, acquisition, life cycle software acquisition, and research for defense, civil, and intelligence agency customers. It is composed of five departments, two of which are in Chantilly, VA.
- Provide technical leadership, development, and mentoring of the SES staff supporting various customers across local and geographically dispersed technical resources
- Direct and participate in technical projects of importance to the Corporation and in activities that advance the Corporation’s imperatives, initiatives, and goals
- Assist Principal Director in hiring, budgeting, development and communication of technical objectives for the subdivision; prioritization of technical effort; assuring the quality and timeliness of all technical products and contractual deliverables; staffing and personnel actions; budgetary and staff allocations and assuring adherence to all applicable security and safety procedures
- Act as a resource and liaison for the collaboration and overall cohesiveness of the other ISCD subdivisions and external to ISCD
- Liaison and key interface with west coast senior customers, customer program managers, staff, Aerospace management, and ETG to identify and fulfil customer needs, consistent with the Aerospace FFRDC charter
- Manage organizational resources in a manner that meets customer needs, complies with customer and Aerospace policies and fulfils the requirements of the relevant Aerospace contracts
- Identify and follow through on opportunities to inject Aerospace innovation and technology in support of customer needs
- Lead and/or participate in high visible tasks or deliverables for customers or internal Aerospace activities or studies
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree desired) in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or related field from a recognized institution
- Demonstrated experience with SMC, NRO, and IC ground and space mission assurance activities – software acquisition, architecture, system engineering, test, and operations and the complexities associated with acquiring large complex systems with significant legacy dependencies
- Proven and demonstrated effective working relationship with Program Office Customers (e.g., NSG, SSG, DSG, CSG), Corporate, and Contractor personnel
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of contractors, customers, and corporate staff
- Demonstrated experience and expertise as a manager of personnel and resources
- Superior oral and written communication, organization and planning skills
- Demonstrated excellence in building effective teams
- Excellent personal technical reputation and record of substantial personal technical achievement
- Current TS/SCI with counter-intelligence polygraph, which is issued by the U.S. government. Applicants must also meet additional customer security requirements
- Demonstrated experience in leading tasks/studies/analysis in support of Aerospace corporate activities or customer high priority mission requirements
- Advanced degree in science, mathematics or engineering from a recognized institution
- Understanding of the Aerospace role and the guidelines for appropriate use of FFRDCs
- Experience working directly in a government program office
- An excellent personal technical reputation and a record of personal technical achievement in software engineering
- Prior leadership role in an organization addressing software engineering disciplines
- Management experience working with subordinate managers
- Experience, management or non-management, in an organization external to Aerospace’s Engineering and Technology Group
- Demonstrated ability to grow an organization in response to customer requirements
- Familiarity with Aerospace Federal Government and Civil/Commercial customers
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: Top Secret
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Developer, Engineer, Software Engineer, Information Systems, Computer Science, Technology, Engineering