As a member of the Operations & Technology team, the Vice President of Engineering will be directly responsible for the direction of software development and cloud platform operations throughout the enterprise. This role will collaborate on and execute IT’s strategic vision to transform NBCUniversal’s engineering and operations to deliver a data- and services-centric ecosystem built on cloud technologies. This position will build and develop a global organization that consists of high performing engineering teams that deliver with greater velocity, consistency and value to our operations and business clients
The VP will establish a clear vision, build organizational capability, and direct the execution of both the software development lifecycle and planning activities as well as the NBCU enterprise cloud infrastructure to ensure continuous and seamless delivery and automation that enable business value, reliability, scale and reduction of risk. The role is a key contributor in defining policies and standards, determining technological direction and implementing strategies to ensure long term corporate initiatives are achieved.
This position requires a big thinker who can analyze and evangelize a long-range opportunity, organize and manage new and broad initiatives from inception and roll-up your sleeves approach to manage and ideate every aspect from budgets, toolsets, architecture & patterns, SDLC & complete engineering teams working on multiple projects. The successful candidate will work closely with in-house and offshore DevSecOps staff, clients, and service providers to design, develop, maintain, and ensure quality delivery of applications and services, on time and on budget, while driving technology-enabled business enhancements and business results.Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead long range planning efforts integrated with overall IT strategies.
- Scope and manage new custom development projects that arise within the organization and identifying: appropriate system architecture, features, solutions, timeline and budget for MVP and complete delivery.
- Build reliable, scalable and highly performant products and features using industry best practices.
- Design, build, implement, monitor, and manage a reliable and secure NBCU enterprise cloud infrastructure platform and shared services across multiple cloud provider environments.
- Hire, inspire, and lead multiple high-performing, global engineering teams.
- Develop and execute a product roadmap with input from the delivery team, stakeholders, and operations & technology leadership to identify and maximize opportunities to improve business processes and results.
- Plan, organize, and direct development projects, ensuring adherence to architectural standards and leading the COE deliver on its value proposition, keeping projects on track with full transparency on progress and goals.
- Manage the SDLC including supporting project plans, budgets, and toolsets.
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture to establish & evangelize architectures and patterns, shared code repository, and shared interfaces.
- Continually review the technology needs of supported business functions relative to new technological developments and trends and keep abreast of industry and emerging technology.
- Manage the operational, budgetary, and financial responsibilities and activities in area(s) of ownership.
Minimum of 10 years of software development experience, as a developer or manager.
Minimum of 7 years of experience as a development leader with direct authority over development staff.
Proven understanding and commitment to software engineering principles/processes (e.g. Agile, DevOps, CI/CD, TDD, XP) and continuous improvement through measurement.
Demonstrated experience with in leveraging and/or brokering services from AWS, Azure or GCP, specifically in supporting deployments on one or more of these platforms.
Demonstrated experience and interest in running the development of cloud-based architectures, delivery models, applications, APIs, web services, IAAS, PAAS, microservices, container-based and serverless architectures; familiarity with relevant design principles and patterns.
Expert in full SDLC and secure coding practices and frameworks (e.g., ISO 27000, NIST, FFIEC, etc.).
Knowledge of application test automation products, processes, and best practices.
Experience in UI design and development.
Experience with Information Technology in developing/architecting applications with significant exposure to Microsoft .NET, Azure platforms and Open Source technologies.
Experience setting and maintaining the strategic, big picture technology direction while successfully delivering large scale IT solutions in a matrixed environment.
Ability to effectively communicate company strategy and business needs to product development and planning.
Proven dynamic leader with the ability to lead a diverse team of varying skillsets across geographies and functional areas to drive workforce development and achieve desired goals.
Demonstrated ability to be an influencer and change agent through effective communication – in-person, written and verbal – who relates complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences in a large, multifaceted organization.
Significant experience in budget and financial management as it relates to Engineering.
Master’s Degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.