VP OF ENGINEERING, INSPERIENCE
We believe V-commerce™ will fundamentally change the way people shop. Located in Venice, CA, we are defining the next generation of retail by leveraging VR to forge deep relationships between brands and consumers in immersive, memorable experiences. And, we are doing it in partnership with the largest retailer in the world. Insperience is a portfolio company of Store N° 8, Walmart's incubation arm for uncovering ideas that will transform the future of commerce.
In this role, you will lead and grow the software engineering, QA and IT teams.Top reasons to work with us:
You will love this job if you are:
- You love using technology to improve people's lives - we are constantly tinkering with new VR hardware/software, researching emerging trends in retail and combining them to create unique experiences that solve real problems for consumers.
- We are a startup with the backing of the Fortune 1 - our day-to-day vibe is startup, but we've got the resources and commitment of Walmart, the world's largest retailer that's built its brand on helping shoppers around the world save money and live better.
- Defining the next generation of retail excites you - we are developing immersive retail experiences for consumers today, while building the foundation for the future of commerce - a future we call v-commerce - where we believe consumers will interact with brands and products in entirely different ways.
What you'll oversee (and often do):
- A hands-on technology leader - you can build a strategic technology roadmap but also enjoy coding alongside your team within an agile methodology.
- A collaborator - you work cross-functionally to execute on the vision created across the business.
- A strong mentor - you know how to motivate your team to do top notch technical work and help them develop.
- A creative problem solver - you have the ability to think outside of the box and maintain a flexible approach to solving big problems.
- Work closely with other members of the senior leadership team as well as the product management and UX teams to collaboratively define product direction and ensure the product is designed to meet specific needs today, but with wider applications in mind for the future.
- Develop overall technology strategy including roadmap, team requirements and processes that meet the needs of the business.
- Advise other groups, such as marketing, sales and operations regarding technologies that may improve their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Be an architect, setting the technical direction for the team, driving the evolution of the system architecture and making appropriate technology choices across both existing and new systems to create a technology roadmap that makes sense for the organization.
- Build and manage the software engineering team, technology and process to assure the team achieves its objectives.
- Hire and onboard engineering team members as needed, in partnership with the CEO and HR team.
- Coach, motivate and develop team members by providing technical direction and guidance, as well as hands-on project management, recognizing the role as that of both people manager and support resource to ensure continuous improvement.
- Be a champion of information security within the organization and help us identify and prioritize necessary security-related tasks.
- Effectively manage IT efforts to ensure that the systems and technology needs of the organization are met.
- Work collaboratively with the development team across a diverse set of technologies to build an overall system that meets the needs of the business.
- When needed, act as a lead engineer to resolve blockers and major issues.
- Provide direction on architectural decisions and make judgment calls on when technical debt needs to be paid down.
- Participate in regular agile process activities including assisting in development of user stories, estimates, sprint planning and sprint reviews.
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and participating in code reviews.
- Spend approximately 20% of your time designing, coding, creating unit tests and otherwise contributing as an individual contributor.
- Manage 3rd party contractors and vendors to ensure successful delivery of work.
- Help organize and participate in team-building activities.
- Update job knowledge by keeping aware of new development tools, programming techniques, and methodologies; participating in educational opportunities; and maintaining personal networks.
- Be aware of future needs, be curious about new technologies, how they might impact the product and technology, and help the organization adopt and adapt.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- A minimum of seven (7) years related work experience is required, including at least three (3) years in a leadership role.
- Proven engineering team leadership encompassing major new system development.
- Demonstrated ability to interview and onboard engineering talent.
- Experience supervising and managing others, including staff development, feedback, coaching and performance reviews.
- Experience managing 3rd-party contractors and vendors.
- Experience delivering via Azure (current) or AWS.
- Expert level architecture, programming and debugging skills in node.js and Express.
- Experience working with MySQL, MariaDB.
- Proficient with designing and implementing REST-style web services.
- Knowledge of VR development in Unity a plus and, at a minimum, you must be interested in learning about Unity development and integration.
- Demonstrated experience leading an agile development process including quality assurance and delivery.
- Experience with performance analysis, scaling applications, and improving performance.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with team members – both technical and not – in a manner they understand.
- Team player, solutions-oriented, continuously strives to deliver quality work.
- Experience with enterprise customers including security assessments.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience with BI tools, PlayFab knowledge.
- Experience deploying to physical locations.
Pay, perks & such
At Insperience, we provide competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health (medical, vision, dental) coverage, a 401K plan, pre-tax commuter benefits, flex PTO. Of course, we also have startup perks like snacks, engaging events and an office full of energy and people committed to our mission. We love to communicate, which is why we also have weekly team lunches and regularly scheduled all-hands meetings. We empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big, long-term problems.
Come join us!