PMC: VP Engineering, Subscriptions Technology
The Senior Engineering Lead at PMC will serve a key role in scaling our paid & premium digital products. PMC is a leading magazine & media publisher and the Senior Engineering Leader will help drive subscription revenue. Reporting to the Vice President of Technology, the VP Engineering for Subscriptions Technology will make hands-on engineering contributions while ensuring that the team of engineers is executing in alignment with the overall vision by providing guidance and technical direction. The VP Engineering, Subscriptions Technology can work out of either our West LA headquarters or our Midtown Manhattan offices.
Why work with us?
- Work on some of the largest, trusted brands in entertainment and fashion news, including Rolling Stone, Variety, WWD, and Robb Report.
- Own your work. High responsibility and high autonomy.
- We’re a stable, growing company with a startup mentality.
- Agile scrum environment with small, focused teams.
Our subscriptions technology stack uses a variety of technologies include WordPress, Laravel, Node, React, Kotlin + Spring Framework, RabbitMQ, Lambda and Auth0.
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your team.
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members.
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly.
- Help establish and maintain the technical vision for products and overall technical quality, including reduction of technical debt.
- Collaborate with engineering directors to refine and improve the codebase.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- Contribute to planning and design discussions. Encourage active participation in all phases of the project lifecycle, and work with project management to remove impediments and provide visibility to stakeholders.
- Ensure clear and objective communication of goals, responsibilities, and timelines between all stakeholders, both internal and external. Help your team build relationships across departments with Support, Marketing, Ops, and other teams to ensure continuing success.
- Proven track record of meeting aggressive schedules; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated an ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion.
- Experience implementing features for paid digital products and services / subscriptions / e-commerce
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully integrate into a team of talented developers.
- Strong software development fundamentals, data structures, design patterns, object-oriented programming, architecture, algorithms and problem-solving skills.
- Very strong knowledge of how the web works and how to make it efficient (HTTP/S, caching, page rendering, etc).
- Deep understanding and experience working on distributed/high trafficked systems, and preferably real-time systems and workflows with an emphasis on end-to-end speed.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for agile principles and values.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- Experience leading teams in an iterative development environment
- You are steadfastly focused on your customers, whether they are subscribers, free readers, or other PMC employees
- Experience in systems engineering, API design, automation, and/or DevOps is a plus
Penske Media Corporation (PMC) is a leading digital media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a monthly audience of more than 180 million and empowers more than 1 million global CEOs and business thought-leaders in markets that impact the world. Our dynamic events, data services, and rich content entertain and educate today’s fashion, retail, beauty, entertainment and lifestyle sectors. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 11 countries worldwide, Penske Media is the way global influencers are informed, connected, and inspired. To learn more about PMC and its iconic brands, visit www.pmc.com.