Stara's mission is to deliver a simple and low-cost solution for data storage in space and downlink back to Earth for all satellites. In order to fundamentally change the economics of space, we're designing a constellation of nanosatellites and a ground station network which push data rates to their limits. Join us in building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost communications satellites to democratize space exploration.
VP OF ENGINEERING
Work with an incredibly talented team comprised of former SpaceX, Y-Combinator, and Hyperloop One veterans. We are funded, driven and move fast. Previous aerospace production experience is not required. We are building a team of intelligent, resourceful and motivated individuals. If the seemingly impossible excites you and you thrive in a fast-paced and innovative environment, then you've found the right company.
The VP of Engineering will be responsible for leading Stara's satellite and ground station engineering development programs. As the VP of Engineering you will be the technical expert for a variety of projects, spanning requirements development, satellite and ground station design, vehicle integration, manufacturing, reliability, systems engineering, and testing. You will be responsible for overseeing multiple engineering disciplines and designs in all aspects of spacecraft and ground station development. These disciplines range from RF analysis, to structures, to electrical, to power, to data, to software, to systems integration, and quality assurance.
This position requires a highly-experienced spacecraft design engineer who will drive innovative technical designs, ultimately shaping Stara's satellite and ground station programs. A passion for tackling challenging and often seemingly impossible problems is necessary. The VP of Engineering must have experience leading a successful small satellite/spacecraft development program from design through operation.
This role requires a high level of autonomy and ingenuity.
- Technical expert and lead engineer for Stara's spacecraft and ground station development programs
- Managing the risk profile of technical solutions against aggressive business timelines
- Shepherding a strong engineering culture through mentoring, recruiting, and collaboration with different technical departments
- Effectively lead and motivate a multi-disciplinary engineering team
- Conduct engineering trade-offs (e.g. design + new build vs off the shelf component, material selection, etc.) to best position the company for success from a schedule, cost and risk standpoint
- Aid in the development of technical requirements, verification and test plans
- Work with business team and senior staff to ensure design and development aligns with promises to stakeholders including timeline and costs to ensure the best possible path for success
- Eliminate unnecessary complexity and optimize cost through intelligent designs and creative engineering solutions
- Advise senior level management on technical matter, aiding in future business decisions and company direction
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or technical discipline
- 5+ years of combined work experience in the aerospace industry with 2+ years leading a spacecraft development program
- 8+ years relevant work experience
- Demonstrated technical leadership skills and experience run a spacecraft development program from requirement definition, through build, launch and on-orbit operations
- Deep understanding of systems integration, RF, structures, electrical, power, and other spacecraft engineering disciplines
- Proficient knowledge in the realms of satellite design, development, test, integration, manufacturing and reliability
- Experience prioritizing design and build schedule across multiple projects and with various stakeholders in a fast paced and demanding environment
- Engineering team management experience
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen., lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Stara Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and thrive because of it. Stara is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, performance and business needs.