ABOUT VICE MEDIA GROUP
VICE Media Group is the world's largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 21 offices around the world. VICE's content has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabodys, Golden Globes, Sundance Film Festival, George Polk, Scripps Howard, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, James Beard and Webbys, among others.
VICE Media Group's portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture; and Garage, a digital platform and biannual publication converging the worlds of art and designRole x You
Are you obsessive about application performance and efficiency? Looking to scale large and highly visible consumer experiences on the web? Then we have a role for you.
Vice is looking for a seasoned backend API engineer to help evolve and continue to build out our suite of microservices that power the Vice ecosystem. The rockstar candidate for this role will have a deep knowledge of node.js and its performance ins and outs. As a senior engineer- you will join Vice's Product & Engineering team and help foster a continued culture of technical excellence and be a major part of building kick-ass consumer facing products that have global reach.Qualifications
You have these:
- BS or MSc in Computer Science or relevant STEM fields
- 5+ Years development experience
- Strong understanding of microservices design patterns
- Mastery of Node.js
- Deep understanding of relational and distributed database systems
- Demonstrable experience with performance optimization
- Deep experience working with AWS technologies and real-time decisioning / edge processing
- Understanding of advanced caching techniques and familiarity working with CDNs
We'd love if you also had:
- Expertise designing and architecting highly scalable and highly available backend applications capable of handling thousands of requests per second.
- Write clean, efficient, well-commented code.
- Ensuring scalability of highly visible consumer facing products and backend services
- Hands on technical mentorship, code reviews, participating in architecture design, pair programming, and implementation of proven software design patterns
- Own technical performance and speed of consumer facing platforms
- Triage and solve challenging problems that arise on the platform.
We want to find people who believe in our goals and feel inspired enough to grow while they're here to fill the role, rather than someone who checks the boxes but isn't invested. We encourage you to apply and show us what you've got.
If you require reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.Working at VICE
VICE prioritizes the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don't just "tolerate" differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICEAgencies:
VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.