Senior Network Design Engineer Job Category:
Fulltime Regular Exempt Overtime Eligible:
Exempt Benefits Eligible:
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community. Job Summary
Provide top-level network architecture and design, for a wide variety of networking technologies, including routing and switching, firewalls, wireless and optical networks. Job Duties
- Design, install, upgrade, maintain and troubleshoot network devices (switches, routers, wireless access points, etc.) on campus.
- Ability to use network traces to analyze, correlate and diagnose application and network problems and behavior. Includes expertise in TCP, HTTP, DNS, DHCP.
- Ability to analyze network performance through ongoing monitoring and using troubleshooting tools. Recommend enhancements, upgrades and changes to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Provide technical support and solutions to other IT departments.
- Interact with campus Internet providers CENIC and Los Nettos, including reporting and troubleshooting upstream network issues. May also attend and participate in technical committee meetings.
- Participate in Facilities design and construction meetings, and provide input on the infrastructure required in main and intermediate distribution facilities.
- Maintain awareness with new network technologies and determine their suitability for Caltech's environment.
- Strong documentation skills, develop network maps, troubleshooting guides, and operational procedures.
- Able to mentor the junior team members.
- Active participation in the design and implementation of an integrated infrastructure supporting the convergence of voice and data services.
- Work on special projects as needed.
- Monitor and update our internal trouble ticket system on a daily basis.
- BS/BA degree or a minimum of 5 years experience as a network engineer.
- Experience in cross platform network automation using Ansible and Python.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP, OSI layer and operational experience of network routing protocols including BGP and OSPF.
- Ability to learn any network operating system including but not limited to Cisco, Arista, Aruba, Ciena and PaloAlto.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including developing, writing, and reviewing technical documents.
- Excellent team player, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and set priorities.
- Be customer-oriented and comfortable working with a user base with widely varying computer skills and support needs.
- Be able to respond to off-hours incidents as necessary.
- Able to lift moderately heavy equipment up to 25 pounds.
- Some travel in-state and nationally may be required.
Required Documents To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://hr.caltech.edu/work/job_openings We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- BS degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience in deploying BGP VXLAN and EVPN control plane.
- CCNP, CCIE or equivalent certification.
- Practical knowledge of optical transport systems not limited to Cisco and Ciena.
- Experience working in Linux operating system, good understanding of network performance tests using iperf and identifying network bottlenecks
- Experience designing and implementing 100Gbps backbone in a multi-vendor environment.
- Knowledge of Caltech campus environment.