Switchboard Operator @ Optum - Pasadena, CA
Post a job for free in Pasadena, CA
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION:
Responsible for the efficient handling of incoming telephone calls.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate Optum's commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each and every internal and external customer.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the complete operation of switchboards and follows opening and closing switchboard procedures according to site-specific policies.
- Handles all phases of telephone communications.
- Routes all calls to appropriate departments.
- Takes accurate and neat messages, and forwards them in a timely manner.
- Calls appropriate facilities/hospitals in case of phone failure and gives emergency numbers according to site policies.
- Pages (beeps) providers and staff when necessary.
- Voice pages (overhead) providers and staff when necessary according to site-specific policies.
- Voice pages (overhead) emergency and Code Blue calls.
- Handles all emergency calls appropriately according to site-specific policies.
- Briefs on-coming shift of all outstanding pages or information.
- Maintains accurate directories of providers’ phone and paging numbers.
- Maintains accurate daily schedule and communicates as appropriate.
- Maintains awareness of duties of each department in order to process calls efficiently.
- Maintains accurate records of all long distance calls as applicable to site.
- Reports urgently needed switchboard equipment repairs to Supervisor/Manager.
- Adheres to Universal Precautions at all times.
- Adheres to safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Uses, protects, and discloses our patients’ protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
Performs additional duties as assigned.
High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent. Includes special certification required for specific jobs.
- Up to and including 1 year of experience.
Experience working with public.
- PBX/switchboard experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Computer literate.
- Ability to type 25 wpm.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to handle multiple telephone calls in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent telephone skills and etiquette.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Bilingual preferred.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Here you’ll find incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(SM)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: Optum and its affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Optum and its affiliated medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.