Help us take FINE to the next level!
We specialize in the art of bringing brands to life online. Since the early days of the commercial web, we’ve created custom digital destinations that connect clients with their customers in innovative ways, always honing tools and platforms that set the pace and standard for web development. As a Front-End Developer, you will bring special moves in FE development, push innovation, and mentor developers while working directly with designers, project managers, information architects, and back-end devs, to create super-smooth, responsive, accessible websites for our clients.
At FINE, we are committed to our core values and strive to live them every day.
People here are the real deal. You bring genuine intentions, unite by your actions, stay humble in your greatness, open with your quirks, and honest in your flaws.
You’re at the top of your craft and game. Whatever your skill and role, you’re a highly engaged, positive solutioneer. A leader, a do-er, and an always improver.
MAKE BIG HAPPEN
You approach your work believing it has the power to impact our company, our clients, even our world. All that you do is strategically-motivated and aims for a world-class outcome.
Our values manifest themselves in a small group of dynamic, creative learners who are passionate about producing inspired and effective work, who seek to improve every day, and who understand that life is too short to not enjoy yourself along the way.
Our promise to clients is to help them evolve their brand and business to become their best selves and deepen their relationships with customers. For the “A player” (that rare and talented top 10%) looking for something special, this position is the ideal opportunity.
- Do you see brand and creative as a powerful business driver?
- Do you believe the best work is done in small groups of passionate experts?
- Do you love design that is simple, beautiful, and intuitive?
- Do you have a high level of attention to detail?
- Do you have a passion for supporting others?
- Are you looking for a place to learn and challenge yourself every day?
- Are you able to maintain calm in times of stress?
- Do you focus on priorities to achieve set goals?
- Do you value the people you work with as much as the work itself?
- Do you look at work as a career rather than just a job?
- Are you inspired by the opportunity to address and solve interesting problems?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, we want to meet you!
FINE is a brand agency. But for us, branding has moved far beyond slick logos, flashy sites, and clever campaigns. It’s a deep process of building value, based on values. It starts with the core reason a company exists, then permeates everything you do about it. Brand-Led Business Building™ helps us engineer companies (including our own) by aligning Vision, Operations, Expression, and Traction to create the kind of business people today truly buy into.
Since 1994, we’ve earned hundreds of awards and worked with countless clients to help define businesses using brand as our lens. Our work and our people have been featured in Communication Arts, Graphis, HOW, Fast Co., Adweek, CMO.com, AdAge, and many others. We’re proud to have helped friends across industries, from pioneering hospitality brands to innovators and nonprofits of all shapes and sizes.
Developers at FINE are passionate, clever people who are constantly improving their skills to keep up with technology. We work on challenging projects and produce high-quality work in a collaborative, creative setting.
Front-End developers at FINE work directly with designers, project managers, back-end developers, technical documentalists, and others to create super-smooth responsive websites for our clients based on using our own open-source CMS that we affectionately refer to as Fae. We are looking for craftspeople who use styles, scripts, and markup as the tools of their trade.
- Work with a team of producers, designers, strategists, and developers to build brand new experiences with VueJS/Nuxt
- Help innovate our suite of tools and tech through regular client work
- Collaborate with designers early in the production process to help them understand current and new tech capabilities
- Share learnings with our team of developers and help mentor less experienced members
- Review other team member’s code and help maintain high code quality
- 2+ years of applied experience with modern SPA frameworks (React, Vue, Nuxt, etc.)
- Experience or a deep understanding of statically rendered websites, their benefits, and drawbacks
- You provide confidently clean code in with HTML, CSS & JS
- You focus on the readability & maintainability of your code
- Implement cross-browser compatible features as a baseline
- Strategically choose solutions that support efficiency in rendering, loading, and painting of the page on the full spectrum of devices and networks without sacrificing accessibility or UX
- Familiarity with WCAG success criteria, and generalized experience in building accessible, intuitive websites
- Balance design aesthetics with accessibility, keeping WCAG guidelines front-of-mind while seeking opportunities to push the boundaries of the web as a medium
- Comfortable with Git
- Take personal responsibility for deadlines, code quality, and tasks
- Communicate effectively & often
- Adept at creating and maintaining your development environment
We’re whole human beings here at FINE, and we’ve designed our benefits offerings to support our team in a whole range of human things. Things like:
- A selection of robust health plans (medical, dental, and vision) to choose from, with an option for 100% employer-paid coverage
- Vacation, sick time, company paid holidays, and our annual holiday close
- A 401(k) plan combined with a discretionary company contribution, driven by company performance
- Company-paid group-term life insurance with the option to purchase additional coverage
- Short-term disability coverage
- Professional development to keep you growing
- Pre-tax flexible spending accounts for dependent care as well as certain dental and vision expenses
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Flexible and remote working opportunities
- Friendly atmosphere and culture
- Competitive compensation package
- Outstanding work environment
- Working with other “A players” driven to create great client results
This position is for our office in Portland, Oregon, with the opportunity to work remotely within the United States. Located in a newly renovated building in downtown Portland, our office is cozy, collaborative, and comfortable. Each unique space was designed with multiple uses in mind, like a strategy session on the collaboration wall, refining a design idea over a cup of coffee in the bistro, or visiting with a client in the library. Note:
As of Q3 2021, FINE employees are working remotely during the pandemic.
“I’ve worked on multiple projects building sites for everything from wineries to private equity clients. There’s always an interesting new feature or challenge to overcome with each project, and our designers always bring fresh ideas to the table. Part of a successful build is coming up with ways to create flexible object-oriented data models without over-engineering too much complexity into it so that sites can evolve and change with the client’s needs over time.“
— Jeremy Clemans, Developer
“FINE offers the perfect balance of a humanity-first approach to business and envelope-pushing aspirations. It’s the harmony between the two that’s continually impressed me and inspired me to want to give back not just through my work ethic but in my desire to help see the business thrive. Leadership consistently exemplifies a deep consideration and care for the team, especially in their rallying for self-advocacy and continued personal growth – which can certainly be advertised by any agency, but to actually follow through requires a real level of trust and commitment.“ —
Mehran Azma, Associate Creative Director
Our Hiring Process
Our business may be small, but we think hiring’s a big deal. So we take a very thorough approach to finding the right fit for both our company and for each human who comes to work here. Our process includes several interviews, an analysis of your career history, and in-depth reference checks. We respect your time and appreciate your participation in our mutual goal to help you find the ideal position for your skills and strengths.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We believe in this big-time. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. FINE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
How to Apply
If you feel you are up for our in-depth hiring process and feel you can contribute to a dynamic, growing company, please begin your application below. Phone calls and emails are not accepted. Please be sure to add [email protected]
to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.