Planet DDS is the leading provider of cloud-enabled dental software solutions serving over 10,000 practices in North America with over 60,000 users. The company delivers a complete platform of solutions for dental practices including Denticon Practice Management, Apteryx XVWeb Digital Imaging, and Legwork Patient Relationship Management. Planet DDS is committed to creating value for its dental practice clients by solving the most urgent challenges facing today’s dental practices in North America. Overview
A software engineer helps build and enhance SaaS and mobile products for dental offices and dental groups. To be successful, the engineer will need to be self-motivated, a critical thinker, be able to take high-level direction, communicate clearly, gain consensus, and drive to completion in a fast-paced environment.
A software engineer does not shy away from learning something new or experimenting with technologies to find the right solution. A friendly, hard-working, positive person with a true passion for solving problems with technology will fit in well with our dynamic team.
(This position can site remotely within the United States or out of our Seattle, WA office) Responsibilities & Duties
- high-quality code following best practices within the relevant frameworks
- reusable, modular, and scalable code
- automated unit tests
- Contribute to and start leading code reviews, design reviews, effort estimates, task breakdowns, and other team discussions
- Fix software defects
- Breakdown features into testable sub-tasks
- Estimate and commit to tasks and manage your time to deliver as committed
- Meaningfully test all your work including writing automated tests whenever possible
- Follow coding and other standards per team practices
- Work with the existing engineering team on continuously improving the performance, scalability, and reliability of Legwork / Planet DDS products
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams to design and deploy new features
- Learn about the latest tools and patterns consistent with your role
- Participate in our Agile processes—from updating Jira to reflecting meaningfully in retrospectives and everything in between
- Other duties as assigned
- 5 to 8 years of experience in a software engineering/development role
- 5 years or more of experience with Node.js and TypeScript
- 3 years or more of experience with C# and/or React would be a plus
- 5 or more years of experience in the full software development lifecycle
- 3 or more years of experience working with RESTful services, building, and consuming
- 3 or more years of experience working with datasets / databases particularly PostgreSQL
- 3 or more years of experience working with cloud technologies (plus for Google Cloud Platform)
- Experience in at least one Agile software development methodology (e.g., Scrum, Kanban)
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to engage throughout the department and the company to achieve goals
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant major or equivalent years of experience
- Any of the following would be a plus:
- Experience in B2B product development
- Experience in a CI/CD environment
- Dental industry knowledge
Behavior and Scope
- You respect and share our values
- You love working with teams of smart and driven people who are excited to solve challenging problems
- You can talk about complex software systems and have ideas on how to most effectively build quality, performant, and easily supportable software
- You believe that code reviews, giving them and asking for them, are important to delivering quality a product
- You love to cover your code with adequate unit, integration, and performance tests
- You are adamant about instrumenting and measuring the performance of code to find bottlenecks and improve performance
- You exhibit dogged determination to get to the root of problems
- You care about best practices and evangelizing them with the team
- You like to research and propose new techniques and methodologies to improve the quality and efficiency of our software
- You can clearly convey your thoughts, enjoy presenting what you have done, and can cater your message to audiences both technical and non-technical
Planet DDS Core Values Collaborative
- You understand the priorities and goals for the team.
- You are thoughtful about process; proposes changes as needed for the whole team to execute more efficiently.
- You hold your team accountable for their best efforts.
- When finding an issue in another team, you raise the matter tactfully with that team.
- When discussing work, you engage in discussion around business impact.
- You can develop large parts of systems on your own to support products.
- You routinely work without needing major direction or attention to achieve success in your role.
- You typically work on systems in multiple domains; you may require some guidance to complete complex work to achieve success.
- You own major functionality in a product and can diagnose issues, determine root cause, and recommend a resolution.
- You mentor others when opportunities are presented.
Working independently and across teams, we create scalable solutions to enable company growth. Empathetic
We are educated on the experience of our customers and feel vested in their success. Accountable
We feel ownership for the quality of our work and take pride in the positive outcomes. Trustworthy
We operate with integrity and honesty, making promises we know that we can keep. Ambitious
We are driven by our ability to make a long-term, positive impact on the lives of dental market leaders.