- 4+ years of experience in multi-tier web architecture
- Experience developing high quality, large-scale consumer mobile applications.
- Firm understanding of software development principles, capabilities and limitations.
- Attested oral and written communication skills with technical and non-technical partners.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
Amazon Mobile Shopping is one of the fastest growing strategic businesses within Amazon. Our scale is billions of dollars and millions of users. We work with the latest devices as soon as they come out: phones, tablets, TVs and VR wearables. Our team is responsible for creating the best shopping experience for customers wherever they go on their favorite devices. We are passionate about building scalable, well-designed software. We constantly improve our technical foundation and customer experience. As a senior engineer on the App Experiences (AppX) team, you’ll have huge impact on how customers, even friends and family, interact with Amazon.
Our team's goal is to help customers accomplish their shopping mission as quickly and easily as possible. This Sr. SDE role will invent new inspired customer experiences which prioritize fluidity, speed, and adaptiveness to create a clear distinguisher from other Amazon platforms. You provide diverse perspective and context for App development curve balls. Your curiosity steers our technical business direction to push technology boundaries for the benefit of our customers. You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices on your team. You are a technical leader for your team.
About the hiring team:
We created the App Experiences (AppX) team to explore new ways for Amazon customers to complete common shopping tasks quicker, browse more efficiently, and discover new features. Even as the 10th most-installed app, we’re still learning how to make the right decisions for customers and how to educate them about new features. We build new iOS & Android features addressing customer frustrations and innovate on core shopping functions like the personalized navigation menu, location awareness, and browsing; identifying core shopping experiences that are not mobile optimized, and fix them. We spend a lot of time thinking about what mobile shopping means and how we do it correctly with strong partnerships between dev, product, and design competencies. Our toughest problems are crafting world-class UX experiences and every pixel matters to our customers. We are innovators at heart, and mobile App customer experience is king to us.
- You will architect new end-to-end customer experiences that bring shopping innovations to mobile.
- You deep-dive into client or server systems to optimize for performance, maintainability, scalability, extensibility as needed.
- You propose innovative tools, frameworks, automations and processes that are used by the entire mobile shopping team for development.
- You mentor team members to promote engineering excellence.
- You are continually "looking around the corner" for the benefit of our customers and investing wholeheartedly in building amazing mobile shopping experiences.
- Experience building highly scalable, consumer-facing systems.
- Firm understanding of software development principles, capabilities and limitations of mobile platforms (iOS and Android).
- Expert in software engineering (process, architecture, algorithms, data structures) and knowledge of Agile methodologies is a bonus.
- Passion for mobile development. We would love to hear about Apps you’ve developed!
- Familiarity with React, Redux, React Native, Webpack, and Typescript
- Familiarity with JSS, Jest
- Familiar with accessibility and internationalization
- Familiar with performance optimizations and trends
- Willing to go the extra mile to do things right and fast
- Able to learn large scale complex systems quickly
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
- Location could be either: San Francisco, CA or Cupertino, CA