Vance & Hines is a manufacturing and product Development Company that partners with distribution partners and OEMs to reach our customers.What we do:
We leverage our experience, passion and learnings at the race track to deliver products that enhance the exhilaration of the riding experience.Our Vision:
The most innovative and rider-focused team.Position Overview:
This individual will have accountability and responsibility for providing leadership at all levels in the design and engineering departments to ensure they are working toward the company initiatives and goals. The Director has the lead role in facilitating the product development resources and will directly support the evaluation, selection and deployment of design & engineering resources. Additionally, the Director must possess outstanding communication skills, an ability to collaborate with designers and engineers both inside and outside the company and with key leaders across the Company.
This position is paramount in driving impact in a key Company strategy: Build the V&H Team to drive product innovation and expansion that impresses our industry partners and inspires the rider community. (Entrepreneurial spirt; focus to attention, while broadening our reach).Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Product Design & Engineering job duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Reporting to the President of the Company, will be responsible for all Product Design and Engineering activities including the recruitment and development of talent capable of delivering our strategy and partnering and collaborating with manufacturing so we “can build what we design”.
- Ensure engineering tools are used to analyze and confirm designs meet /exceed customer expectations, for functionality, safety, regulatory compliance (as specified) and quality.
- Responsible for cradle to grave product development life cycle development and execution including on-going product support activities (i.e. continuous improvement).
- Develop and continuously improve design and engineering processes by using lean principles and methods.
- Develop and maintain design and engineering metrics and dashboards.
- Provide technical direction and assistance to Quality Control, Sales, Marketing, Product Management and other functions as needed to support current products.
- Communicate and coordinate with suppliers where design and engineering input is required to develop specifications for products, design, and cost savings projects.
- Mentor and develop design and engineering personnel.
- Support the development and execution of Product Development strategies, plans and budgets.
- Requires an engineering or industrial design degree, with a master’s degree preferred.
- 5-8 years of work experience in a fast-paced, quick to market product development process with a proven track record of successful product launches and leading teams. Success in the power sports or motorcycle industry would be an advantage.
- Computer Skills: Ability to use and understand the capabilities of SolidWorks design and build software. Solid capabilities with using the Microsoft office suite, including MS Project. Rapid prototyping software and technologies are a plus.
Our Expectations on Behaviors:
- Understanding and experience in the Powersports and or Motorcycle space would be preferred. A candidate with current motorcycle license would be ideal.
- Experience in OEM Tier 1 supply engagements and partnerships in driving new business and improving existing business.
- Accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
- Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result.
- Ability to look beyond the standard solutions.
- Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct.
- Ability and experience to inspire the team to perform a task to the best of one’s ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
- Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information.
- Team Work; Aligned and Together as One Team in One Direction so we are a Reliable Team
- We believe integrity is everything.
- We believe in constructive discontent. “There must be a better way.”
- Team members have to be as enthusiastic about their jobs as motorcycle enthusiasts are about their rides.
- Treat People with Respect
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to fingers, handle, feel, hear and talk. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee must be able to drive a vehicle, fly in an airplane, utilize, trains, buses and/or other transportation methods.Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position works in a variety of different environments, including an office setting, exterior settings with noise level that can fluctuate from low to high.Other Duties:
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.