Doctor Evidence is the leading medical intelligence platform for Life Sciences companies that enables users to identify breakthrough insights grounded in the vast universe of published medical information, proprietary data and real world evidence. We push the boundaries of healthcare technology and allow for new possibilities in science, enabling more informed decision making and faster time-to-market for accelerated impact. Our vision is to empower smarter healthcare decisions with better evidence and insights. Our mission is to use intelligent, cutting edge technology and expertise to deliver evidence-based answers and meaningful healthcare insights. Our values are: let the evidence speak for itself; respect each other’s time, ideas and perspective; generate better products with diverse ideas; stay hungry for knowledge; and be agile, adaptive and innovative.
Doctor Evidence builds solutions used by doctors, educators, scientists, researchers, biomedical informaticians and manufacturers that enable enormous advances for the improvement of human health, including COVID-19 research. We are looking for an experienced Front-End Engineer to contribute to the next generation of our applications. You should have a good eye for design and detail, and an aptitude for tackling user interface and workflow challenges unique to big data analyses and complex scientific workflows.
As a Front-End engineer, you will be working on the front-end development of the client application and user interface. You will work closely with our scientific product leads, bioinformaticians, and back end developers on developing tools and visualizations that support large-scale, sophisticated data analysis and interpretation. You will take a leading role to help shape the UI look, design, and feel of our applications.
A good fit would be a developer who can execute quickly while still following best practices and who thrives on new technology and has an avid interest in bioinformatics and big data. You will be expected to help make decisions on and implement design, behavior, functionality, and styling of our applications. Experience with healthcare, bioinformatics or life sciences is nice to have, but not required, but experience building web-based user interfaces and applications with complex, data-driven visualizations is a must.
And be forewarned: This a challenging domain. We are not building standard, run-of-the-mill React or Angular applications. Our applications are built using substantial innovative custom technology to accomplish unique on-the-fly statistical and AI analysis of massive amounts of research data. It requires understanding of direct browser APIs to achieve necessary scalability and performance requirements. But you will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions and innovations in an emerging field of technology.
Skills & requirements
- Legally able to work in the U.S. Permanent residence is inside U.S. time zones.
- Strong attention to detail and visual design; please expect to share examples of previous work.
- Embrace functional, reactive, and object-oriented programming.
- Easily choose or write the best algorithm for consuming large, dynamic data sets.
- Experience designing beautiful web applications.
- Familiarity with modern development workflows and release cycles, using Agile-like methodologies.
- Comfortable with Git, Node.js and modern JS development tools.
- You have strong communication skills and willingness to ask questions. We do not write implementation specs for you; you will be a business problem to solve and are expected to understand and explore the space of design alternatives to come up with a solution. Questions will occur and it is important that you be comfortable asking them and chasing down answers.
- You have extensive experience with web development, having done one or more substantial client/server applications.
- You can take any documented API and immediately begin building client-side functionality.
- You’ve done enough projects to identify what’s missing or unworkable in a wireframe or high-level set of design requirements, and have the basic design and UX chops to improvise when necessary.
- You are well-versed in the classic front-end skills as well — you know your selectors, semantic tags, and cross-browser development.
- Familiarity with leveraging our core libraries and frameworks (see Our Work for the main technologies we use).
- Familiarity with key value stores
- Experience with visualization frameworks: D3, Raphael and similar