Lead Backend Engineer @ FanAI - Santa Monica, CA
Lead Backend Engineer
Santa Monica, CA
a month ago
Post a job for free in Santa Monica, CA
FanAI (www.fanai.io) is a fan analytics startup based in Santa Monica, CA.
The acknowledged leader in esports audience analytics, we’ve created sponsorship marketplace that helps rights holders monetize their fans and brands optimize their sponsorship spend by delivering actionable audience insights and offline attribution to drive improved sponsorship outcomes.
Reporting into our CTO, you will be responsible for the architecture and implementation across our platform development and data pipelines. You’ll take responsibility for quality and standards in our back-end coding, and have a key role in ensuring we maintain high information security standards across the board.
You’ll be playing with terabytes of data daily, and your role will require you to keep a strong eye on efficient data wrangling. You’ll be expected to design for scale, find repeatable models for efficiently returning loads of data, and to work with the front-end engineering team to optimize performance and responsiveness.
As the lead backend engineer, you should eventually expect to have several direct reports whose well-being and growth you'll be responsible for, and whose regular one-on-ones and performance reviews you’ll be expected to conduct. You’ll also be centrally-involved in ensuring appropriate resource allocations to maximize that team’s output, and in the hiring process across the entire technology team. You’ll take responsibility, in partnership with management and product, for ensuring that the backend team operate as a high-functioning unit in our agile delivery organization.
You’ll be heavily product-oriented and expected to iterate quickly in this startup role. You will have to balance that with keeping a strong eye on maintaining our availability and latency. Continual improvement of our delivery infrastructure and methodology will be a constant background focus for you, improving our time to market and in-market resilience.
You will also be required to support client delivery for our consulting practice where necessary. You’ll be a key leader in partnership discussions, covering technical integration and operations, as well as pricing and other commercial terms.
A talented communicator, you’ll be looking to continue the growth of your interpersonal skills in a professional setting, and will be responsible for translating complex technical concepts into digestible terms for our internal and external client stakeholders.
- Mentor and lead junior engineers, raise the bar, and contribute to best practices for all engineers.
- Work closely with product, design, and data teams through the entire product lifecycle.
- Take true ownership of our backend tech stack.
- Design and implement APIs that power our web application and internal services.
- Build ETL pipelines to ingest data from 3rd party services and make it usable and queryable within the platform.
- Work closely with other developers to enhance infrastructure, improve reliability, and efficiency.
- Be a driving force in our engineering culture. Review code, refine the architecture, and deliver a quality product.
- Constantly focus on providing business value to our clients.
- Computer Science or other STEM degree.
- 7+ years of software engineering experience.
- 3+ years experience with Python.
- 3+ years experience with cloud platforms like GCP, AWS, or Azure.
- 2+ years experience leading engineers
- Experience building RESTful APIs
- Strong understanding of and experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with modern SOA and microservices.
- Experienced using pubsub message queues.
- Experience working with SQL and NoSQL databases like Redis, PostgreSQL, Big Query, and ArangoDB.
- Comfortable working with concurrent programming (i.e., asynchronous, multi-threading, and multi-processing), and you understand when to use these techniques.
- Must be comfortable with Linux and associated technologies (e.g., Bash, cron, filesystems, signals, sockets, pipes, processes, SSH)
Bonus Points for
- Experience with Pytest and functional testing.
- Good working knowledge of and experience with Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with Helm.
- Data engineering and ETL experience.
- Experience working with a graph database like ArangoDB.
- Full Health, Dental, Vision
- Flexible working hours
- Remote-first culture
We provide a fast-growing, fun and professional atmosphere. A place to express and grow yourself professionally and the opportunity to advance your career through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers in the business.