We are seeking a skilled and innovative Automation Engineer to join our dynamic team in the entertainment industry. As an Automation Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in designing, implementing, and maintaining automated systems that enhance our clients’ attractions and stage shows. Your technical expertise and creative problem-solving will contribute to the seamless integration of automation into entertainment productions for our clients.
- System Design: Collaborate with Mechanical Design Department, Project Managers, Fabrication Shop, and Installation Department to design automation systems that create captivating visual effects, movement, and interactions for live shows and events.
- Programming and Control: Develop and implement control strategies for fail-safe automation components, including motorized rigs and associated special effects.
- Equipment Integration: Integrate and synchronize a diverse range of equipment, including induction and servo motors, various sensors, and pneumatic elements, to deliver breathtaking and coordinated experiences.
- Safety and Reliability: Ensure the safety of performers and crew by designing fail-safe mechanisms, emergency stop protocols, and redundancy features within automated systems.
- Testing and Validation: Rigorously test and validate automation sequences, addressing potential issues, refining timing, and troubleshooting technical challenges to ensure flawless and repeatable execution.
- Collaborative Creativity: Participate in client meetings to understand artistic visions and translate them into technically achievable automation sequences.
- Documentation: Maintain comprehensive documentation of system designs, configurations, software, and troubleshooting procedures to facilitate future enhancements and maintenance. Write Operations and Maintenance Manuals, Failure Analysis Reports, and Hazard Analysis documents.
- Innovation: Stay current with emerging technologies and trends in entertainment automation, bringing fresh ideas to the table and continuously improving our offerings.
- Education: B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent work experience. Relevant certifications in automation (ISA), control systems (Siemens, Allen-Bradley, Beckhoff), or entertainment technology (ETC, ETCP) are a plus.
- Experience: Proven experience as an Automation or Controls Engineer. Knowledge of NEC and UL508A standards. Experience designing and building UL508A-compliant enclosures.
- Technical Proficiency: Expertise in automation software, fail-safe I/O and PLC programming, and fail-safe motor control systems. Familiarity with industry-standard control platforms (Allen-Bradley, Siemens, etc.) and software tools (Microsoft Office, AutoCAD Electrical, VMs). Familiarity with designing and troubleshooting data networks (Ethernet/IP and PROFINET, firewalls, managed and unmanaged switches, IP addressing across multiple subnets)
- Creative Problem-Solving: Ability to merge technical expertise with creative thinking to engineer novel automation solutions when ideal parts may not be available due to lead time issues.
- Communication Skills: Excellent communication skills to collaborate effectively with diverse teams, including creative professionals, technical experts, and entertainment operators who are inexperienced with industrial control system terminology. Comfortable leading training sessions for individuals and small groups.
- Project Management: Strong organizational skills to manage multiple projects on different timelines, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Safety Focus: Deep understanding of safety protocols (PROFISafe, CIP Safety) and regulations related to entertainment automation (UL508A, ISO 11161, ANSI E1.6, etc.), ensuring the well-being of all involved.
- Adaptability: Flexibility to sometimes work irregular hours and travel (local, domestic, and international) as required for installation, testing, and commissioning.
If you are a dynamic and imaginative Automation Engineer excited about pushing the boundaries of entertainment through automation, and if you thrive in a creative and high-energy atmosphere, we invite you to apply and be a driving force in delivering unforgettable experiences to our clients’ audiences.
Note: This job description is provided as a general guideline and is subject to change based on the specific needs of the organization and the nature of the entertainment projects.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,100.00 - $100,233.00 per year
Ability to commute/relocate:
Work Location: In person