To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.Junior Data Engineer
Data & Analytics
USU – Grade 8
$77,637 - $116,449
List of benefits
June 22, 2022
The Data & Analytics Department is working to further develop our existing data warehouse to make it better equipped for research and analysis that informs political and workplace organizing. This position works with our Senior Strategist to improve data pipelines, build new connections to outside databases and complete tasks related to assisting in the development, implementation, and maintenance of the data warehouse while maintaining the integrity of the data contained within.DUTIES:
REQUIREMENTS: Education and Experience
- Act as primary point of contact for questions related to AFSCME’s Data Warehouse and the core datasets within.
- Work closely with department members to build, test, maintain, and deploy ETL pipelines related to voter, membership, and volunteer data ingestion and manipulation.
- Apply database architecture best practices to existing warehouse data storage.
- Coordinate with external vendors on data release schedules and troubleshooting.
- Develop best practices and training materials related to the data warehouse and its core data sets.
- Administer user accounts and permissions for the data warehouse and related systems.
- Work with internal and external staff to establish best practices and standards for data collection, validation, preservation, and aggregation.
- Provide data and technological guidance on issue and electoral campaigns.
- Create new data validation methods and data analysis tools.
- Produce ad-hoc queries, reports, and projects as needed for interdepartmental or affiliate use.
- Construct database tables for reporting and auditing purposes, including EveryAction contribution data.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in a related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years related work experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
Travel, Driving & Work hours:
- Strong commitment to the labor movement, the union and its mission.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to communicate technical subjects to non–technical individuals.
- Familiarity with online electoral tools and datasets such as Catalist, VAN, and EveryAction.
- Thorough understanding of Structured Query Language (SQL) and constructing queries.
- Experience working with APIs.
- Experience in the use of data and analytics to drive effective decision-making in both issue and electoral organizing.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively and work under deadline pressures.
- Experience with Data engineering best practices a plus.
- Prior experience with Linux & bash scripting a plus.
- Familiarity with Python or similar OOP programming languages a plus.
- Prior experience with task orchestration software a plus eg. luigi, airflow, gokart, metaflow, kedro, pipeline.
- Prior experience with cloud data platforms such as AWS. Certification in these tools a plus.
- Extended work hours and travel are required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time