Courtesy Clerk - Store # 22 PT @ Northgate Gonzalez Markets, Inc. - West Covina, CA
Courtesy Clerk - Store # 22 PT
Post a job for free in West Covina, CA
Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and since then we have grown to 41 stores in four counties: Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego and Riverside. We offer our customers a full service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery, tortilleria and prepared foods in addition to a sizeable section of domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a Mexican homeland experience. We are always looking for great people to join as a member of the Northgate Family. We look for enthusiastic people with the potential and desire to grow with us. We strive to create a great work environment that is positive and fun; where people have meaningful work, where individuals have a sense of belonging and feel appreciated, valued and secure. If you are passionate about food, are customer focused, team oriented, and want to be a part of our family, we invite you to apply! We offer opportunities for growth, 10% discount for you and one other family member in your household for most purchases made at Northgate and flexible schedules. To learn more, please visit www.northgatemarkets.com.
JOB SUMMARY: To provide satisfactory service and assistance to customers at the check stand; provide carry out service of customers' purchases to their vehicles; perform other tasks as assigned in an efficient manner within company policy; and ensure that the shift contributes to the financial best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Observe all store rules and company policies; comply with safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe company dress regulations.
- Observe shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by the store director.
- Bag customer's purchases in accordance with established store procedures.
- Provide carry out service
- Sort and return‑to‑stock items (go‑backs) back to their normal shelf locations.
- Perform price check functions.
- Obtain items from shelves to replace exchanges or items that our customers desire to purchase.
- Assist customers with purchases including carry‑out service and loading into their vehicles.
- Gather shopping carts and take them to designated areas and pickup points.
- Move empty bottles and containers from the front end to back room.
- Assist in prompt clean up of spills and breakages of glass or plastic containers to eliminate potential hazards and prevent accidents according to company policy.
- Sweep floors during store hours and assist in other maintenance duties as assigned.
- Keep the front end of the store clean and in good order.
- Handle damaged and spoiled products and assist in controlling the level of damaged goods.
- Control excessive use of utilities and water and observe sound conservation practices.
- Assist in training personnel when assigned.
- Greet all customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service or assistance.
- Accurately record in‑store use of merchandise in accordance with company policies.
- Assist in keeping front end displays clean and orderly; eliminate debris such as discarded receipts or wrapping material from front end counters and displays.
- Maintain general housekeeping and sanitation standards in compliance with store policy and state and local health regulations on a regular, ongoing basis.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order; immediately advise store manager of any maintenance or equipment problems.
- Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior; report to key person or security any abnormal behavior.
- Notify department manager of personnel situations or policy violations affecting store operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such action.
- Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school education preferred but not absolutely required.
- (None required)
- Be able to perform arithmetical calculations at the eight-grade level in order to assist in sales transactions and to calculate and extend column totals on in-store supply usage.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools; company handbooks, policies and procedures; and other written job related documents.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being “drug free” under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
- Must have and be able to present a valid work permit if under the age of 18.
- Be thoroughly familiar and willing to comply with all priorities and store policies pertaining to the job position including punctual and reliable attendance.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 42 pounds carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift moderate amounts of weight.
- Successful performance requires vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve inaccessible items for customers located above freezer cases or from stockrooms and other storage areas; be able to sweep and mop floors and lift or carry out trash containers to be emptied in an outside bin.
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies such as cleanup requests (due to accidental spills or breakage of glass or plastic containers having liquid contents), shoplifting and other security assistance requests, customer accidents, etc.
- Be able to handle fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants and flowers without negative allergic consequences that would adversely affect job performance.
- Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes from common household cleaning agents such as ammonia during routine housekeeping duties.
- The work environment includes occasional exposure to refrigerated frozen food storage areas with temperatures as low as 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero.
- The work environment includes occasional exposure near heated ovens and high temperatures.
- The employee may occasionally be required to accompany or escort refrigeration repair personnel to machine and compressor rooms which can have extremely high noise levels; however, typically, the noise level in the work environment is moderate.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work – In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban the Box Law).